Saturday, August 30, 2008

How Was Your Day?

Mine was awful. Thanks for asking. Seriously, I can't remember a day like this since I was pregnant and hormonaly deranged. Benjamin disovered the word "no" this week. ("Nein," actually, since he says it in German). I know, most kids discover the power of this word at 18 months or so, but like we've established, speaking is not his strong suit. So, ta-da, here comes his newest word. All day long today - even when he really meant yes - he yelled "Nein!" We battled over meals, diaper changes, and toy clean up. He refused to get in the car seat, then refused to get out of it. He threw 4 separate tantrums regarding TV. He poured water all over the kitchen floor twice, once all over me, and refused to clean it up. He jammed a cd in the cd player. He poked Isabella with his fork. He climbed into my bed and pulled off all the sheets just after I'd made it. I could go on. The truly ironic thing is that just last night I made the comment to Kelly, "I'm just so happy with my life right now. Things are really good. I love being a stay-at-home mom, I love our kids and how fun they are. Life is just great." Never let the Fates hear you make a comment like that. It's like praying for humility.


Benjamin's freakish attitude today altered my usually positive perception of another milestone he achieved this week. Namely, he has decided he can now do everything on his own. How dare anyone try to help with anything. Whether that's washing, diapering, dressing, or eating - it's "Me!" and only me. Part of me loves this new independence, but today as I'm watching a whole bag of cheerios scatter across the floor and a whole carton of milk gush over the table, I can't help but say, "Would you like me to help you with that?" "Me!" is always the reply. Even as he squeals and huffs in frustration while attempting to put on his shoes, help is refused. So I stand there, Bella in her car seat, bags on my shoulder, waiting and waiting. Diapering is interesting too. He must take off his own pants. He must put on his own diaper. Kid - if you're diapering yourself - it's time to start using the toilet! It's actually really cute to watch him get up from the table, attempt to carry his plate over to the sink (spilling any remaining items) and then get on his stool, turn on the water, and wash his hands and face. He refuses to let me help him. My only allowed contribution is to hand him the towel. Alas, my little boy is growing up and these are those lovely "growing pains" you have to deal with along the way. If only they were as cute as Kirk Cameron made them seem. :)

I just try to remember that the great thing about difficult days like today is that you go to bed, wake up tomorrow, and it's a whole new day. A clean slate. You start over and move on. I love that.

Here's what kept me sane today:


2 comments:

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

I sooooooo feel your pain. I too love being a stay-at-home mom and would never change it. I feel so fortunate to be with my kids full-time. However, there are those days when I want to bang my own head against the wall in frustration. The good thing is you also have those unbelievably wonderful moments that remind you how blessed you are. We all have our good and bad days. If anyone says otherwise they are either lying or completely in lala land and oblivious of their surroundings. Your kids are adorable.

Stacy said...

Wow, you had a really hard day! It sounds like you kept your cool, and your perspective, though, especially with those cute smiley pictures to cheer you up. Nice work! X is becoming more independent as well and I have to plan extra time for everything we do. However, there are times (like tonight-yay!) when all he wants is his mommy and I feel remembered and important in his life again. I hope tomorrow is better for you.