Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Now We Just Need to Figure Out How to Stop


All Summer I've had an image in my mind - the image of me, letting go of the back of Benjamin's bike and then standing there cheering and clapping as he rides off sans training wheels. Sunday morning it finally happened. I always take the kids to a playground on Sunday morning before church to get all the extraneous energy out before they're expected to sit still for 3 hours. This week I encouraged Benjamin to bring his bike so we could practice in the big, empty parking lot there rather than our cracked, bumpy, and sloped driveway. After only a minute or two, I experienced the moment I'd been looking forward to. I was so excited! I think almost more than he was! He's been working on it off and on all Summer and this time he finally got all the pieces together and took off. I stood there cheering and photographing and then I heard, "Help! I can't stop!" I got to him just in time to grab his handlebars as he careened into the grass and toppled. I guess that's the next thing to work on! Funny the details you don't include into your dream image. :)


Also, Bella has gotten the hang of her bike. She careens around the neighborhood like a pro now. Before the processes of turning the pedals and steering in the desired direction were tricky, but she's doing great. She also started gymnastics this week. She looked so cute in her leotard that Benjamin insisted on taking a picture. I'm glad he thinks of these things when I don't! It was really fun to be in the class with her. I enjoy the chance for one-on-one time. It's the same mom and tot class I took with Benjamin and it's also interesting to see how different they are in their approaches and abilities. Her first attempt at a somersault involved her belly flopping on the ground and slamming her face into the mat. Not quite, sweetie! ;) She improved quickly, though, and she's a champ on the trampoline! Such fun to see her growing up.


As for Christian, he's spending more and more time awake lately and it's fun to get to know him better. He smiled yesterday for the first time what seemed to be a genuine smile and not just gas. That was fun. He's done it a few more times since too. What a cutie! He's also getting really good at putting weight on his legs and standing up if I hold his torso. He loves tummy time too, but he loves it so much and is so comfortable in that position, that this is often the end result:


So, those are my kids in a nutshell. As for me, I've become a vegetable. Sleep deprivation is hell. Whacky emotions, terrible memory, inability to concentrate or stay on task, falling asleep the moment I sit down, etc. And this is after only 4 weeks? Newborns are so adorable, but the cuteness comes with a price. May he please follow his sibling's examples and start sleeping through the night very soon. And I must say thank you to Kelly for his willingness to take over feedings when I'm too tired to continue. My husband is wonderful.

2 comments:

Tara G. said...

Go Benjamin and Bella! My offer still stands, if you need a nap call me!!!!!!!!!!

Loni said...

Way to go Benjamin! That's tough stuff! I hope learning to stop comes soon!