Wednesday, December 06, 2023

We Need A Little Christmas

 Bella has made a video to the tune of We Need A Little Christmas.  I think its fantastic and so I'm posting it here. She amazes me how quickly she can video edit such a fun project.  (If you're viewing this on a phone, the video likely won't appear.  It usually takes a laptop to see it.)

We put up our Christmas tree, outside lights, and indoor decorations last weekend.  Bella and I did it alone this year because Benjamin was unwilling to leave his video games and Christian was at a robotics tournament.  She loved it because it meant she could do it exactly as she pleased with no argument from anyone.  I had a great time peacefully putting up the tree without being a referee.  And, of course, Bella got to be the one to put on the finishing touch - the star on the tree.  It was such a fun afternoon.  No one loves Christmas more than Bella and I loved sharing it with her.


Peter's favorite part is when we get out the nutcrackers.  I keep a bag of unshelled peanuts and another bag of mixed nuts for him to crack and he throws himself at the task with gusto.  As Bella and I were discussing what roles we'd fill in the Christmas set up, I said, "I'll start by setting up the tree."  Bella responded, "Then, I'll be over here putting up the lights."  Immediately Peter called from the kitchen, " And I'll be in the kitchen cracking the nuts!"

Peter also wanted to continue the tradition we started when Bella was very little - of painting a tree on the window, complete with presents and ornaments.  He's not quite the devoted artist that Bella is, and he grew tired of the project a few times throughout.  He always rallied, however, and was very pleased with his finished product.  I did the main tree and he did the ornaments, presents, tree skirt. Then I completed it with a start and a "Merry Christmas" (not pictured).  He admires it happily every day.


Up next on the list of Christmas traditions - seeing light displays in the neighborhood, gingerbread houses, cookie decorating, caroling, nutcracker ballet, Christmas concert at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, and all the kids' holiday band concerts.  So many fun things coming up! The traditional holiday parade all the kids were supposed to walk and perform in was canceled due to bad weather.  That was sad since it was going to be Benjamin's last time.

No comments: