Friday, October 09, 2009

Pediatrics 101

If your child has this type of rash all over her body, she may have an ear infection.


I don't know how well you can see it in the picture, but Bella has had a rash for 5 days now, but it wasn't your normal rash. This was a crazy chameleon-type rash. It changed color, pattern, location, etc. all throughout the day. At its peak it was all over from scalp to toes. However, some times it would disappear completely and then magically reappear a few hours later, just as I thought she was over it. She didn't have a fever, the rash didn't seem to bother her at all, she slept fine, she ate fine, so what was it? I restricted dairy for a whole day - the drama of that about killed us both! But the next day it was still there. Finally after two days of not being able to take her to the gym with me due to her frightening appearance, I took her to the doctor. Sad that the breaking point for me was my own inconvenience, not hers, huh? Bad mom. The doctor looked at her rash and then looked in her ears. "This ear is full of puss," was her diagnosis. The doctor said that Bella's body is likely having an allergic reaction to the bacteria that is causing her ear infection. The reaction is manifesting itself as a rash that changes as her body fights the infection. It's like a biological ticker board - 'this just in! making progress around the stapes! struggling in the area of the malleus'. I would never have known she had an ear infection. She seemed fine! This is her first ear infection and she showed no signs. Thank goodness her body created a big, obvious way to get my attention! Also, I'm so glad that the rash came now rather than after we'd started treating the infection or we'd have assumed the rash was a reaction to the anti-biotic! The human body really is amazing. And another amazing thing, after one day of anti-biotics, she went to bed tonight rash free. Let's hope it stays away for good this time.

By the way, for those who have asked about her hair - it is finally growing back a bit - slowly but surely. Benjamin's only took 6 weeks to nearly fill back in to normal after his disastrous cut, whereas Bella is still at the peachfuzz stage after 3 months. But it's coming! She no longer pulls on it, so it's just a matter of time now.

3 comments:

Loni said...

Poor girl. Don't you just love the guessing game of what is going on with my child. I'm glad she is doing better. I had never heard of a rash being apart of an ear infection, crazy!!

lizroxy said...

Interesting reaction. I have noticed a connection with Lauren's wheezy lungs and ear infections or other viral illnesses. She never acts like her ears are bothering her either but a couple days of antibiotics and her breathing clears up too.

Carla Geddes said...

Wow... that's pretty interesting.. I also would never have guessed it was an ear infection. Glad she is better now. :D