Saturday, April 09, 2022

Spring Walks and Games

One of my favorite things to do this time of year is to take the kids on a walk in the woods on a regular basis to see how spring slowly appears - first the shoots, then buds on the trees, then flowers, then leaves, etc.  Peter did not want to go on a walk when I mentioned it at home but I drove him to the edge of the woods (0.2 miles from our house) and suggested we walk around.  Once he was in sight of the woods, he changed his mind.  Unfortunately any signs of spring were still hard to find.  Spring is really coming late this year.  We had a great walk anyway, though.  His favorite part was the bridge and the river (of course I forgot to take a picture there).  When it was time to go home, he was done and sat on the bench, refusing to go any farther.  So, the walk back became a piggy back ride.


Our piggy back ride was temporarily interrupted by the need to throw sticks and rocks into the flooded puddle.  Every time it made that fun "ka-sploosh" sound, he cheered and rushed to find something else to throw in.  So adorable.



Indoor soccer has ended and it's on to outdoor.  Given temperatures today (in the 30s with strong winds), I believe indoor would still have been a much better option.  However, Christian was a real trooper and never complained.  He played well and had a lot of fun.  I'm so glad he has a sport he likes.  His coach this season is a flake and has most of the parents really upset.  I'm really hoping he improves.  As they got on his case today for various large issues (such as canceling two of the three pre-game practices and not handing out uniforms until the kids were on the field for the first game!!) his response was, "What do you want, I'm just a volunteer!" I get that life happens and you're not getting paid to do this, but holding a practice per week is really the bare minimum.  If you can't even do that, please don't volunteer!  We can get someone else!  Hopefully things improve.  Just makes me really appreciate coaches like his indoor coach, Tito.  What a night and day difference.


Christian and Peter were playing in the basement prior to the game.  Christian had set up a mattress on it's side as a wall to shield behind as they shot nerf bullets at each other.  Peter decided to make things quick and simple.  Rather than use strategy or try to shoot around, he just ran up to it and jumped on top of the mattress, knocking Christian over and landing on top.  "Got 'em! Sheesh!" he called triumphantly.  Then he refused to get off!  So funny.



I've also enrolled Peter in a toddler gymnastics class.  It's a parent-tot format so I get to be in there with him.  He had a wonderful time during his first class and wanted so badly to stay longer that he cried when he realized time was up. His teacher was so sweet, though.  She came over to him and said, "Peter, what color are your shoes?  I bet your shoes are really cool.  Can I see them?  Can you show them to me?" thereby forcing him to leave the gym and go to the exit to retrieve his shoes.  His reaction was funny because you could see him thinking, "My shoes, seriously?  She wants to see my shoes?" and then his expression softened and he seemed to be thinking, "Ok, if she really wants to, I'll show her," and he ran to retrieve them.  Brilliant lady.



No comments: