Thursday, March 20, 2008

Not a slacker, just a sickie

It's been a long time between posts but I have a good reason - we've all been sick. It's hard to say who got it first, but eventually all three of us ended up on antibiotics. We just can't seem to evade any little bug going around. Living with a toddler who thinks nothing of masticating everything he picks up off the ground and then coughing/sneezing in your face, definitely has risks. It's just impossible to avoid germs when you're the one wiping his nose and holding him all day. So, blogging took a back seat to medicating but luckily now we're all feeling much better. Dealing with a sick toddler is one thing, but also being sick (not to mention pregnant) yourself while doing so is absolutely exhausting. Amoxicillian, how I love thee, let me count the ways.

Another reason for the lack of posts, however, is my annoying habit of always forgetting my camera. So many cute moments pass me by with only my insubstantial memory to capture them. When we were healthy, we've been to several hands-on kids' museums, several different parks and playgrounds on warm days, and had a bunch of play dates here and there and never a camera in sight. Once I used my cell phone as a camera (at the Ann Arbor Hands-on museum) but thanks to the user-unfriendliness that is the RAZR phone, I have no idea how to get those pictures on the blog. However, ta-da! I remembered my camera today! We paid a visit to Mitt Romney's alma-mater - Cranbrook. The high school that costs as much as Harvard. They have a really fun science museum with things toddlers would find cool like large dinosaurs, domino displays you get to knock over, and (the best part of all!!!) lots of stair cases!!! :) Forget the dinosaurs - let's ascend and descend!


Seriously, I've never known a kid so happy to just climb stairs all day. I had to drag him away from them at times to actually see some of the displays. I guess nothing beats yoga on the stairs.


The lions, the rocks, and the dinosaurs were close seconds though. He really seemed to have a good time. It was worth the long drive at today's ridiculous gas prices.




Otherwise, life is progressing as normal. I'm about 33 weeks pregnant now (I lose count sometimes) and feel gigantic. I'm at a point now where I'm growing faster than Benjamin - that can't be good. One thing that's growing faster is his hair. This kid has major hair issues. I plaster it down several times/day and nothing seems to help.


An 8 year old girl was sitting in front of us at church last week and after sacrament meeting, she handed me a picture of a little boy she'd drawn. He had blond hair sticking up all over his head. "This is Benjamin - he has poofy hair," she told me. I promise I comb it!

The cool thing is that he's finally learning a few words. Besides the mama and dada that he perfected a while ago, he's also now saying the German words for dirty, oil, moon, and truck. Random, I know, but it's really fun to hear him speaking. I notice that's he's taking more of an interest in language in general too. He loves to listen to language with rhythm and patterns, such as Mother Goose rhymes, and will have me read the same book to him over and over again. My mother sent him an Easter card which he insisted we read at least 30 times. "Hippity Hoppity Happity Easter!..." His brain is definitely working. Can't wait to see what comes out. :)

2 comments:

Tara G. said...

I'm so glad he is feeling better! And how fun to hear he is saying a couple more words now. It's so exciting to hear them talk!! He is such a sweetie.

Brooke said...

A high school with a natural history museum?!? Cuh-razy. But it looks like a lot of fun. I loved the story about Benjamin and the stairs -- Jeffrey went through a phase at that age where he loved running up and down ramps (like, for wheelchairs, etc.). Whenever I had to keep him occupied, I'd just take us over to a ramp and, voila! An entertained toddler!