Tuesday, January 20, 2009

She's Back


My happy, smiley girl is back, and my prediction was correct - her first tooth popped through today - a razor edged bit of white can be seen (and felt) on her lower gum. We are all glad it's finally over...until the next one. In celebration, we went out to buy a new toy to chew on. Despite my efforts to nudge her in the way of things designed for the purposes of chewing, Benjamin found something he liked more and she heartily agreed. I have never seen her so happy about a toy before. I let her play with it for a while, thinking she'd grow tired of it by the time I went to pay. However, when I took it from her at the checkout, her pained cry and longing gaze broke my heart and I gave in to paying $2.50 for this monstrosity. She happily chewed on his head all afternoon.


In the meantime Benjamin decided to don all his safety gear and imagine it wasn't 10 degrees outside. Since Christmas, he's mastered the art of pedaling (in circles in the garage) and he can't wait for spring. I guess Santa should have brought a sled instead of a bike.


And no, I didn't miss the fact that today is inauguration day, I just can't think of what exactly to write about it. I know that if I'm at all honest, I'll come across as bigoted and spiteful. But I either say nothing or say the truth and since this is my blog, I guess I have the right to voice my opinion. It's no secret that I didn't want Obama as president. That has absolutely nothing to do with him being black. I just don't like what he stands for and I don't buy all his promises for "change." In all honesty, I'm happy for the black people that they have a role model now, but I don't think this really says what they all want it to say. I think he got elected because he was young, attractive, well-spoken, and most of all - the opposite of everything that was Bush. I think you could have put any man with those characteristics in his spot and he would have gotten elected - be he white, black, asian, or hispanic. In fact, I think a woman could have won it if that woman hadn't been Hillary with all her baggage. So if the blacks want to believe that it says so much about how far America has come, fine. That's great. Go ahead. But really, I think what it really says is exactly what every past election like this has said - we hate where we are, so we're going to blame everything on the president and elect someone who is his opposite and hopefully everything will magically turn around.

All that said, Benjamin and I watched his swearing in and I told him as much as I thought he'd understand about what was going on. Tonight as I put Benjamin to bed, he said his prayer and prayed for our new president. I hope that his prayer is answered. It's my prayer too. Despite the fact that I didn't vote for him, I will do my best to support him. I pray Obama will be led by the true founder of this nation and that he will be able to live up to the incredibly high expectations everyone has for him.

No comments: