Monday, April 06, 2009

How Did You Like Conference?

I look forward to General Conference for weeks prior. However, it's not the actual moment of conference I await with barely contained excitement. It's the talks which I will listen to hours later on the internet, after the kids are in bed. Because during conference, this is what we're doing:








I'm assuming we're not the only ones who have a reverence problem. Bella is okay, but watching conference with Benjamin is impossible. He's good for about 3 minutes and then his ability to listen in peace is exhausted. We are then faced with a choice - A. spend the next 2 hours shushing him and getting upset, thereby not hearing the talks anyway or B. having fun family time together and watching the whole thing in peace from 8pm until midnight. So, because we're no masochists, we chose option B and had a wonderful relaxing 2 sessions back-to-back on Saturday and Sunday evening. I saw some very clear recurring themes in what they discussed and certainly came away with some clear ideas on how to improve my life. However, ironically there was one talk on the very reason thing I'd been dealing with that day - Sis. Lifferth's talk on respect and reverence. She gave a wonderful talk on teaching children respect and reverence. I had some clear insights while listening but still, I was left with a "but how?" feeling. She made the point of having reasonable expectations. Expecting a two year old to sit still for a 2 hour conference session isn't reasonable, I understand that, but how about a 5 minute family home evening lesson or a 1 minute family prayer? How about a 60 minute sacrament meeting or a 10 minute family dinner? I can't remember a Sunday where I didn't attend "the church of the foyer" as one friend calls it. Family home evenings have also become increasingly difficult. It's exacerbated by the fact that we have it 30 minutes before bed time, but Kelly's not home any earlier, so I don't know how to fix that part of it.

Until I figure it out or he grows up and solves this issue for himself, I think the point that I need for remember is her statement that reverence is based in love of the Savior and so the teaching thereof should also be based in love. Teaching reverence through harshness merely begets resentment. We must be the examples and pray that as the child grows, he will follow. I think I need to learn patience as he learns self-control and we'll both end up at reverence.

4 comments:

Than and Erica said...

He'll grow up and be better, I'm sure. I don't have any good advice, but I LOVE your crown molding!

Nikki Ogden said...

Years before I had children, I heard an apostle say 'You can't expect a child to sit still for very long, because they have such a huge spirit crammed into such a tiny space that they have to wiggle'. It was hard for me to remember this when they were my own were wiggling, but it gave me such a greater understanding for other people's children. I just don't know when the body is big enough for the spirit...my 12 year old still wiggles SOOOO much!

Stacy said...

We had a fun FHE that lasted between five and ten minutes. It might work for you, too! We laid a blanket on the floor and a big box in the middle (like a table).
We do this every week we have FHE. Then I pulled out different kinds of gloves from a bucket we have (cleaning gloves, winter gloves, and finally, gardening gloves). We talked about what each was for and then I showed him (again) the seeds we had picked out at the dollar store, read a few quotes about the importance of gardening, and had our treat. The next day, Xavier and I planted the seeds for an activity and lo and behold! the plants came up! The kids (Xavi and his cousin) were excited but I was the most ecstatic of them all!) Just thought I'd share. Wiggles are tough but our wigglers are learning. Keep it up!

AJ said...

I told Sam recently I needed to learn to be patient. Now he periodically reminds me "Mommy, you need to be more patient." Fortunately it usually doesn't make me more mad. As for our Sunday reverence, we have a Sunday bag of books, paper, etc. I only let them have it after the Sacrament. Hannah likes to read or color. Sam mostly just read. But Sam's new favorite (one that may work in the future for you) is conference bingo sheets. I printed off several, bring one to church and he listens and colors the words he hears. I help tell him what words we hear and we get at least one talk out of it. As they get older it really does get better. I don't haul screaming children out every week now! Good luck!