Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ferocious Pant Eaters

The phrase "why did you take off your pants?" (or shoes/shirt/socks) is becoming more and more common around here. The funny thing is that the answer is ALWAYS the same. Crocodiles. The other day I was in the living room with Bella while Benjamin rode his bike in the driveway and I watched through the window. Then I noticed my neighbor across the street staring out her front window with a shocked look on her face. Then I noticed her opening her front door in a hurry and looking like she might dash across the street. I reazlied I better take a closer look at Benjamin. There he was sitting on the ground, in a spot I hadn't previously been able to see, stripping off every last piece of clothing. He'd already removed nearly everything but his diaper and was in the final stages of removing his shirt. His clothes were flung haphazardly around the driveway. "Why are you taking off your clothes?!" I asked. Again, "Sorry mom, I worried the crocodiles would eat them." ?????? It's a daily occurrance and I can't figure out how it started. I try to tell him that crocodiles are meat eaters (even showed him a movie of one attacking a wildabeast) and so they wouldn't want his clothes. In fact, his clothes probably help protect him from the crocodiles. Not buying it. I've heard many kids go through a phase where they want to be/sleep naked all the time. I guess this is simply his version. I just hope he doesn't do it in full view of the neighbors too often.


Benjamin scanned the river carefully for crocodiles during the father-son campout this weekend. Luckily he didn't find any or who knows where his clothes might have ended up.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Bill and I read this together and we are both still laughing. Good luck!

Tara G. said...

He is one funny kid! I hope he had fun camping and that Kelly got some sleep :)

Brooke said...

OH! I laughed so hard when I came to the word "crocodiles"! Let me just say: I feel your pain. The phrase "where are your pants?" is still one of the most-spoken in my household. Jeffrey just prefers to go commando, I guess.