Tuesday, October 13, 2009

This is Modern Medicine?

I have had the cough of death for nearly 5 weeks now and I finally broke down and went to the doctor yesterday. I hate my doctor. He and his office are such a disaster that it would make a great comedy act. I literally have to be beyond all hope of independent recovery before I'll go see him. And that was where I was at. I was awakened 3 times the night prior with coughing fits lasting anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. I'd had enough. So I went there (with the kids, unfortunately, because my mom is gone and I hate to ask anyone else short notice). I got there at 1:15 and I was the only patient in the waiting room, and the last patient to sign in had done so at 10:30am. The receptionist/nurse was filing some things and didn't even notice me come in. The doctor was standing to the side of her at the counter where you pay your co-pays, doing seemingly nothing. I went to sign in and there was no pen. 'There's no pen," I said. The doctor looked at me with a blank stare. No motion to get me one. The nurse didn't even react. So, I sat down, got the kids settled and then attempted again to sign in. "There's still no pen," I said, a little louder. The nurse still didn't react. The doctor continued to stare, but then after a long pause he called the nurse's name and said, "Can you get her a pen?" "What?!" the startled nurse said as she was awoken from her filing reverie. She turned and startled again at the sight of me standing there. She gave me the pen from her pocket and went back to filing. So I signed in and sat down, expecting to, I don't know, be called in. Isn't that what one does at a doctor's office?? Apparently not. I spent the next 45 minutes in the empty waiting room, while my kids rolled around in the wheel chairs, played with the water fountain, ran along the couches, threw magazines around, spilled piles of drug brochures, ate and crumbled every snack I'd brought, went to the bathroom, and repeatedly demanded, "Can we go home now?" The whole time no other patient came in, the doctor continued to stand at the counter alternately chatting with the nurse and perusing through file folders. The nurse answered several phone calls and sifted through even more file folders and even called my name once - getting my hopes up of actually being taken care of. But no, she just wanted to confirm my address and insurance provider. Finally after I started pacing the floor and loudly complaining to my children about the "ridiculously long wait" and "what is going on here?" they called my name. When the doctor came in, he acted like he'd never seen me before. He cordially introduced himself and asked me what brought me in to see him. I wanted to say, "Are you serious?? You know that loud, barking cough you've been hearing in the waiting room for nearly an hour now? That was me. You know, the girl who needed a pen." Instead I said, "I have a sinus infection. I need an antibiotic." I won't bore you with the details of the exam, but suffice it to say, he diagnosed me with a sinus infection and prescribed me an antibiotic. This is modern medicine? I think being bled by leaches would be equally painful.

6 comments:

InnocentBystander said...

Actually being bled by leeches wouldn't be that painful - they going on nice and easy apparently, and fall off on their own when full. Gotta love wikipedia at 4:30 in the morning.

Loni said...

HOLY CRAP! That is so annoying, it makes you wonder why the guy can still have a practice! Maybe it is time to switch doctors, there has to be a better one out there!!! I hope you start feeling better soon!

Tara G. said...

That is awful! You need to go somewhere else!!

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

A friend onces said to me, "If you have a great stylist and a great doctor you should never move." I thought at the time, really...then I found a couple of great doctors and a dear friend that cuts my hair. I'm never moving, just hoping that none of them retire anytime soon. Good luck!

Megan said...

yikes! Can you switch doctors? Sounds like that's what most of his other patients have done...

Carla Geddes said...

LOL... you truly have a talent for writing comedy.
p.s that doctor stinks...get a new one.