Saturday, February 18, 2012

The 7th Dwarf

We've been into theater this month. The last three Saturdays in a row we've been to see a play or concert. The first week we attended a chamber concert which told the story of "The Mermaid and the King" through instruments. The kids loved it. The musicians allowed them to come up and play the viola and the flute afterwards too. The following week we saw "Cinderella" at a local high school and Benjamin insisted on meeting the Fairy Godmother afterwards. He was star struck that she could do such magic! ;) This week we saw "Snow White" performed at the library. I loved this week's one because it was completely interactive. At one part a single dwarf came on stage and the narrator stopped the play and pretended to be confused, "Who are you?" he asked. "I'm a dwarf!" was the reply. "Where are the others? There are supposed to be 7!" The dwarf acted shocked that the other 6 were missing claiming "They were right behind me when I left the mine!!" and she decided she needed some help. So she asked for volunteers from the audience to be dwarfs and Benjamin's hand shot up. I was shocked. It's not like him to volunteer to go in front of strangers like that. However, he'd seen many others go up during the course of the play at various times and I guess he thought it looked fun. Luckily he was called on and he spent the rest of the play on stage as one of the dwarfs. It was so fun to watch him up there. I only made a movie, but I cut out a few stills. He's the dwarf in the black shirt with the blue and red hat.


Crying over the death of Snow White:



He was so happy about it. "That was really brave, right mommy?!" he asked when he returned. I really was proud of him. It certainly made the play even more entertaining!

No comments: