Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Spelling Practice

Benjamin's Kindergarten teacher sent out an email a few weeks ago encouraging parents to help the kids work on their spelling. I've been good about working on math and reading, but spelling has been something I've focused very little on since he seemed too young to me. I figured it's best to get him reading and thinking about the sounds the letters make and we'll worry about correct spelling later. However, if he's going to be evaluated on it in school, I decided to begin some fun practice at home. To that end, we've done a couple spelling activities. The first is that I created some placemats with the kids which have spelling words and other fun words on them. I let each create their own word list, drawing from the list Benjamin's teacher gave us and whatever fun words they wanted to learn. Bella's included no, you, the, like, princess, queen, castle. Benjamin's included because, after, come, said, zombie, rocket ship, fireworks, monster. I wrote the words on a piece of cardstock and then they got to decorate all over it before I laminated it. Now as they wait for dinner, they pass the time by tracing over the spelling words with a washable marker and otherwise just doodling on their placemat.

  We also did some work on the backside of the placemat. I would say a word and they'd write it out. However, whenever the word included an "O" (which they all did), they would put a cheerio in that spot. If they spelled the word right, they got to eat the cheerio. I guess you could use any O shaped thing you'd like, but Christian was with us too and he was gobbling them up lightning fast so I couldn't use anything too crazy. In the end, it wasn't a ton of practice, but I feel like I did my duty for the week on spelling. :) It's really fun to see Bella's new enthusiasm for letters, and school work in general, lately. She's really such a smart girl and a hard worker when she's motivated. At the beginning of the school year she was completely uninterested, but now it's really taking off. Our buddy Shade was over this week and out of the blue they all start making human letters while in the tent which we'd put up for General Conference. "Take a picture of our H!" they yelled to me. So I got several pictures of their letters through the mesh of the tent, hence the awful photo quality. I love Benjamin's lower case i, complete with dot. The backwards N is also very cute. Such funny kids. Finally, we are very excited for Easter! I did a numberline learning activity today using plastic easter eggs and after that the kids wanted to be bunnies. So we got out our bunny masks they'd made at the library and they started to bounce around the house. I wanted to take their picture but they were so bouncy they all ended up blurry, so I said, "Hey guys, stop bouncing for just a second so I can get a decent picture!" The result - Bunnies at Gunpoint. This picture makes me laugh so hard. They both immediately held their hands in front of them and gave me identical stoned faces. Not really what I was going for! After that I just made a movie of them bouncing because that was much more fun. We're off to Utah for Spring Break all next week! So excited! Please let the weather stay nice!

No comments: