Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Thank you, phone thief

I just want to thank whoever now has my cell phone because they pushed me into the 21st century against my will, but I'm actually enjoying it.  I had a flip phone which I loved.  It was red and stylish and didn't look like a the old-school oval flip phones. It was a flip phone with bling.  It looked really cool and I loved it.  But it was a flip phone at heart.  No internet, no apps, no touch screen.  And I liked it that way.  I reveled in my cheap cell phone bills and used my laptop when I needed internet and I was happy.  Until two weeks ago when my phone mysteriously disappeared.  I put it in my bag when I went to the gym, never used it while at the gym, came home and found that it was no longer in my bag.  I called it and called it and called it, while walking around the house, and in the garage, and while crawling around in the car.  No sound could be heard.  Then on about the 10th call, it went straight to voicemail.  A fully charged phone.  Explain that.  So, I assume someone stole it/found it and decided they needed it more than I did, but the constant ringing was getting on their nerves.  Repeated trips to the lost and found at the gym yielded nothing but comments like "A flip phone?  Old school, huh?"  Alas.  Time for a new phone and time to bite the bullet and upgrade.  So I joined the world of the iphone users and I am having a lot fun.



It took me about 5 minutes to compose my first 3 line text message using that darn touch screen, but I'm getting faster.  And I love that I can dictate my text messages!  And do you know you can watch movies on this thing!?  Amazing. :)  I had the guy at the Sprint store cracking up with my naivete.  I walked in there sooo clueless.  It's not that I'm dumb, it's just that tech is completely uninteresting to me.  I simply haven't ever had a use for it and I've been too busy raising kids and running a household and dealing with church stuff to worry about the latest phone.

Salesman:  (handing me the iphone 5c) Go ahead and check it out.
Me: (staring at it skeptically): What do I do with it?
Salesman: Well, what do you want to do?
Me:  I make calls with my phone.  How do I do that with this one?
Salesman: (clearly trying very hard not to laugh) Ok. If you want to make a call you do this...(proceeds to show me how to open contacts and select a name.
Me: Once I've found the name of the person, then how do I call them?
Salesman: (winning the award for patience with the tech idiot) You press the phone icon and it calls them.
Me: Ok.  Looks good.  I'll take this one.
Salesman: Would you like to see what else it can do?
Me: Ok. Sure. What else can it do?

Thus began a whirlwind tutorial on the iphone and it was pretty fun, I have to admit.  I can see the appeal.  I definitely liked the iphone more than the android model he showed me because the iphone seemed so much more intuitive, (read: easier to use without taking the time to read a user manual).  What floored me was when I'd show it to my friends and even inside the case I bought for it, all I had to do was hold it up and people would say, "Oh, you got the 5c!"  What?  How can you tell that just by looking at it??  Amazing people.  Two weeks ago I couldn't have even told you it was an iphone.

So, long story short, thank you phone thief, but now could you help me reenter my 200 contact phone numbers?  Because, of course, they don't carry over from my old stone-age phone.  To my friends: if I don't call you for a while, it's not that I don't care, it's that I've lost your number.

1 comment:

AJ said...

You don't have to be interested in all the tech stuff, doesn't your husband do enough for the both of you? Mine sure does! That's why I have the phone I have.