Sunday, May 11, 2014

Spring Sports

Benjamin decided to play baseball and soccer this season.  He really enjoys them both and is so naturally athletic that I think he could excel at any sport he chose as long as he was willing to work at it.


So I decided to let him give baseball a try.  He came home all smiles from his first practice.  The first drill his coach did was to roll them the ball and then have them pick it up and throw it back to him.  Benjamin froze.  All those strangers watching him and a new coach was just too much pressure.  His throw was terrible. He kept both feet together and did a sort of crazy hop twist with both feet as he threw.  The coach was kind and gave him a couple pointers before rolling the ball to him again and giving him another chance.  The second throw was better but still shaky.  However by the end of the hour practice, he was throwing well and seemed to have warmed up.  He was grinning and sweaty as he got in the van.  I took it as a good sign. :)

Everyone's doing soccer this season.  All at the same time and at the same park which makes it simple, but I envy those parents who set up their folding chair and sit to watch their one kid on the one field.  I'm walking back and forth all morning as I watch the three fields.

Bella was upset with me in the morning before soccer because I wouldn't let her wear her jeans and cowgirl boots during the game.  I told her she had to dress appropriately for play and then she could change after the game.  She's in a fierce cowgirl phase right now.  She wears her boots, her hat, and her jeans and white shirt every day every where.  She finally gave up on the idea of the boots and went with the all purple theme (her current favorite color).  When the coordinator told her she'd be on the green team, we had another drama scene on our hands.  She wasn't going to wear green for anything.  I did finally get her on the field in gym shoes and the green shirt.  A miracle!  Bella spent a lot of time standing, sucking her shirt, and drinking from the free lemonade stand next to the field until she came to me 3/4 of the way through saying, "My tummy feels sick from the lemonade."  She did participate in the practice drills, though. And said she had a good time.  I was happy for her.  I know she'll get better.  And maybe she's just not a sports gal and that's okay too.  She has a thousand other talents.  I'm happy that she's out there and willing to at least give it a try.  It's just that kicking, screaming mob of 5 and 6 year olds that's always around the ball that makes her just stand in the corner.  I can't say I blame her.  It's not something you want to go throw yourself into, but maybe she'll warm up to it.



Christian actually plays this time, rather than just sitting on the ball on the sidelines.  He's three, so there's still those moments when the ball rolls by him and he watches it go by rather than run after it, but he tried hard and played the whole time.  I was really proud of my little guy.  Benjamin was also hard-core and played his best.

The hardest part of soccer is not coaching this season.  I've coached the last three seasons, but I wanted to take one off so I could actually watch my kids play, rather than coach one of them and ignore the others.  I've found it hard to stay quietly on the sidelines when I'm so used to being in charge. While I was watching Benjamin, the coordinator of the program came over and asked, "So how's being a former coach and now just watching?"  "Good and bad," I said.  "I love being able to watch them all play, but it's hard when I see the coach doing something I don't agree with and I think I have a better way."  "Oh, I know what you mean,"  she said, "I coached for a long time and when I stopped I became one of  "those moms."  I always had some idea the coach should try and always an idea for making things "better." Then one day he told me to shut up and I realized I had gone too far.  That's when I decided I just needed to take over the program!" she said, laughing. I really like her.  If I weren't primary president and plenty busy as it is, I might consider that.

I'm excited for our spring sports season.  It's fun being out and being active.  There's a huge playground next to the baseball diamond so even during Benjamin's practice, the other two are running around as well.  It's going to be a great season.

No comments: