Thursday, April 24, 2008

Not much longer


I had my 38 week ultrasound today. I loved getting another chance to see my little girl. (They confirmed that again - thank goodness or this boy would be wearing a lot of pink!) At 38 weeks it's a lot harder to see what's going on than at 20. She's so squished up in there that much of what I was looking at was just a blur to me. However, I could make out her head and hands and spine and could tell she's doing well. That's always so reassuring. Also, I've been having frequent contractions and cramps for over a week now and they're apparently having some effect. Dilation and effacement have begun - unlike Benjamin where they didn't begin until after my due date - so things are moving along well. It's exciting. After my baby shower I gave into my nesting urges and went full blast. All clothes and blankets are washed. The curtains, rug, sheets, bumper pad is ready. Bottles and breast pump have been cleaned. Car seat is cleaned. Bag is packed. You name it - it's done. I'm feeling much more at ease now. I hope that she doesn't come before my mom gets here, but I've been overwhelmed by the number of people who have (of their own accord) come to me and offered to be the person to get woken up in the dead of night should this baby pick an inopportune time to arrive. It's very comforting knowing I've got back-up.


In the meantime, Benjamin has been filling his time with all sorts of out-door fun. He just can't get enough of soap bubbles, ducks, playgrounds, pinecones, and puddles. He's in little boy heaven whenever he's outside. His vocabulary is also expanding. He's now saying "bye" to everyone and everything and today he started pointing to things and saying "mein" meaning "mine" in German. I guess, since they're said the same way, it's anyone's guess which language he's really speaking, but he started saying it after he drew all over the kitchen table (rather than the paper I'd given him) and I angrily took the pen away declaring in German that it was now mine. From then on, everything related to paper or pens was "mein." I'm not sure if he thinks that's how you say pen or if he gets that it's a possesive. Time will tell. His other obsession is the sprained ankle Kelly got playing basketball. The cast, bruise, and ace bandage wrap intrigue him and so at least 10 times per day, whether Kelly is around or not, he declares out of the blue, "Owie dada" with a really sad tone of voice.


I've had a few requests for pregnancy photos, but honestly, I'm still not so sure I want to do that. This being my second pregnancy, the charm of watching my body expand just isn't there. It was all so exciting and new with Benjamin and now I just look in the mirror and feel heavy and huge. Not a look I'd like plastered on the internet.

3 comments:

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

It is so fun to see your little family growning. Benjamin is a cutie and I'm sure his little sis will be equally as cute. Good luck with the delivery. We'll be anxiously awaiting the news of her arrival.
With love,
Lindsey (Kelly's Cousin)

Tara G. said...

Seriously Michelle, you look great! When you were giving your talk on Sunday you couldn't even tell you were pregnant until you walked back to your seat. Can't wait to see your little one!!

K and M said...

Thanks Tara! I never get tired of hearing things like that.