Tuesday, April 15, 2008

We love sunshine!

I am so happy that Spring seems to finally have come for good. We've been having a good time. There's just only so much you can do indoors and I get really sick of it after a while. Outside the time just seems to go so much faster and I love the smell of fresh Spring air. Sometimes Benjamin's energy level exceeds my ability to keep up while carrying this heavy belly around, but we've been spending a lot of time at play grounds and parks. There are many days when I really miss just sitting and reading and I would give anything to have a child that is better at self entertaining, but that's not Benjamin. Even pulling a book of mine off the shelf elicits a wail and a frantic "all done" sign. So, when I just can't chase him any more, we go out in the back yard and blow bubbles. At least that's something I can do sitting down! But only three weeks to go until Isabella is here (unless she's a procrastinator like Benjamin). Then my mom can chase Benjamin for a while! Yay! :)

Here's some pictures of recent adventures. I have gotten so tired of my maternity clothes! So, I borrowed some from a friend. When I was trying them on, Benjamin insisted that he get to as well. Who says you need a girl to play dress up? Of course, being a boy, he also had to play around with the cd player while we tried on our clothes.


This is Benjamin's best "can I please look at the pictures now?" face.


Spring and sunshine mean new sunglasses! I didn't think he'd actually wear them, but he really loves them.


I keep trying to get action shots at the playground, but the minute he sees the camera, he poses and then runs to see the picture I took. So, nothing flashy, but cute none-the-less.



There are ducks in a stream by one of the playgrounds we frequent and they were so exciting to him until one thought Benjamin's lunch was its lunch and came right out of the water towards him. After that, Benjamin kept an eye out behind him at all times.



The tough issue we're dealing with right now is Benjamin's tendency to hit, kick, or head-butt me. All day long I'm getting beaten up by a one-year old. If he doesn't want his diaper changed or his shoes on, or if I tell him he can't do something, or that he did something inappropriate, I get a firm whack or kick. If I'm holding his arms or legs, his head comes flying at me. Time outs seem to have no effect and I'm starting to run out of patience with this abuse. The other day I told him to stop throwing toys and he threw one right at my eye. I still have a bruise! I'd say the "terrible twos" have begun. He's definitely better than some kids I've seen who throw themselves on the ground and kick and wail for what feels like forever, but I'm at a loss as to how to deal with this physical punishment he doles out. I hope it's just a phase that many energetic boys go through and he'll eventually stop if I just keep consistently doing what I can to stop it.

4 comments:

Gizmo said...

NICE Blog :)

Anonymous said...

If you find something that works well for disciplining, let me know. Hannah is letting her wishes known in oh so fun ways as well (like the morning we didn't go anywhere because she refused-absolutely refused-to let me put a diaper on her). Oh and Sam is sort of like Benjamin, his self entertaining is okay but he would rather be with me or have me doing something with him. Hannah on the other hand can play in her room for hours with practically nothing! Good luck with your new baby coming also! AJ

T and B said...

I LOVE the dress-up pictures! Too cute!

I wish I could give advice on discipline but I haven't been there yet so I have no clue. I've seen you interact with Benjamin and I think you are doing a great job! I hope that he slept better for you last night.

Good Luck!

Than and Erica said...

If you only have 3 weeks to go, we need the "end of my pregnancy" pictures to be posted! :) good luck!