Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Teaching Me Everyday


Benjamin and Bella and I were having lunch together today and Benjamin wasn't very interested in his food, so he was taking forever!! He'd put a spoonful in his mouth and it would be 5 minutes or more before he'd finish chewing it. I was losing my mind. However, in the middle of it all, he made the thinking pose - head cocked to the side, resting on his palm, looking pensive. He does this regularly, probably imitating me when I'm working on the computer. "Are you done eating?" I asked, for the hundredth time. "I'm thinking," he said. I knew he would tell me what he was thinking about, so I didn't ask. "I'm thinking on Jesus," came the answer to the unspoken question. I always love to hear him say this, but today it was more meaningful that usual. I was trying to hurry him along and he was taking the time to to think about Jesus. I hope in the eternities I'll be granted a view of what exactly he thought about at those moments and how he pictured Jesus in his mind. But no matter how his images look, I was touched that my two year old little boy, who could be thinking about tigers or trucks or pirates or dinosaurs, was instead thinking about Jesus. What a great example to me.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! I'd love to know exactly what he was thinking, too. At our Stake Conference last week one of the speakers pointed out that when Christ came to America there were only two things that couldn't be written - one being the things the little children taught. I've been thinking about that this week so this experience you had with Benjamin fits nicely into that thought pattern.

Rachelle K said...

How adorable. And the picture! I can't believe how much they have grown! :) We miss you guys and hope you are all happy and well.

Stacy said...

It is so interesting to find out what kids are thinking. Xavier has gotten into the habit of asking, "How's your day?" It leads to lots of great conversations about what he's been thinking about and feeling.