Saturday, June 06, 2009

Truly a Mom

Ever have one of those moments when you think, "I can't believe how ridiculous I'm being, and yet my kid loves it, so here goes!" I had that today. Benjamin was playing his ukulele and having fun goofing off when he "discovered monsters." He told me that we needed to run away from them. I suggested that he go hide in the closet and he insisted that I hide with him. So he and I got in the coat closet with his ukulele. Of course, once inside, he decided to play it again. I told him that he shouldn't play, but rather be quiet, because we didn't want the monsters to hear us and discover our whereabouts. However, he was insistent, and so he began to play. Not satisfied, he told me to sing along. So, here I was, crammed in the coat closet with a 2 year old and his ukulele, hiding from monsters and being asked to sing. What does one sing in such a situation? Mele Kalikimaka, of course. The Hawaiian Christmas song seemed appropriate when being accompanied by a ukulele. I could hardly sing, though, between bursts of laughter. What we won't do for our kids. Benjamin loved it and proudly declared that the monsters had fled. I tried to take that as a compliment.

4 comments:

Kyle/Michelle said...

You definitely are a mom, a good one!

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

You are a great mom! These are the things that make the most lasting memories. I'm sure that Benjamin will remember how is mommy played along with his wild adventures.
Hey, when you are in Utah, if you have time we should have a BBQ with all the Dalton's. I'll volunteer my parent's back yard becase there is so much for the kids to do (and the older "boy"s love to play basketball). Let us know if you have time.

Stephanie said...

It WAS a compliment. You're a rock star mom. :)

Brooke said...

Coincidence -- today Jeffrey kept asking me to go into the coat closet with him, to "tour his castle" or something like that. When I went in, he seemed very satisfied, and simply sat down on the floor. I haven't the FOGGIEST IDEA why he wanted to do this, but it seemed to satisfy him. Maybe next time I'll take along a ukelele. . .