Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Downside to Cargo Pants

Cute Benjamin story I forgot to post earlier:
Benjamin's khakis that he wears to church a lot have cargo pockets on both legs. He's never noticed them before this past Sunday. Then, shortly before church, he came to me doubled over, with his hands in them, saying, "Mommy, these pockets are broken. I always have to lean over so far to get my hands in them." I explained that they weren't for your hands, they're for "cargo" ie. things you want to put in them. That opened up a world of possibilities for these previously useless accessories. He insisted I offer him some cargo immediately and I handed him the only thing nearby that would fit - two paper clips. Obviously unsatisfied, he went off in search of more. I was too busy getting ready for church to care much about what he decided to stick in there.

Fast forward to Monday morning around 4am. "Mommy! I need help!" I stumble into his bedroom and notice that his voice isn't coming from his bed, but rather from the floor in front of his dresser. "I keep falling out of bed," he wails, miserably. I assume he's delirious and attempt to lift him into bed. It's too dark for me to see it before hand, but when I try to place him in it, I discover that his bed has fallen apart and his mattress is hanging down at an odd angle, having lost one of its supports. "What happened to your bed?" I ask. "It's in my church pocket," he whines. I, of course, again assume delirium, ignore his answer, pull the mattress onto the floor and situate him comfortably on top of it before stumbling back to my room. The next morning as I attempt to repair the broken bed, I notice that one of the necessary bolts is missing. "Where did the bolt go?" I ask him. Once again he answers, "It's in my church pocket." In the light and clarity of day, I realize what I hadn't before - the cargo pocket! What a perfect item for such a pocket - a bolt. He had removed it from his bed in order to fill his pocket and in his rolling over during the night, had shaken the frame enough that what remained for the support had given way. I got his pants from the laundry, pulled out the bolt and fixed the bed. I was so relieved that it was the only bolt I found in there, or who knows what might have given way next?? I thought it was funny, though, that he knew exactly why his bed had broken - because he'd removed the bolt - but it didn't occur to him not to remove it.

4 comments:

Megan said...

What a great story! That will be fun to look back on in years to come.

Sounds like you have entered a new phase -- checking Benjamin's pockets very carefully before starting the washing machine. I'm guessing you will find some interesting things in those pockets from now on...

Carla Geddes said...

LOL... Oh my goodness Michelle, this story just had me in tears how I was laughing. I then read it to Jake who laughed equally hard, and then proceeded to call my mom in South Africa to read it to her too. LOL... You life as a mommy is definitely not dull. So hilariously funny. This is definitely one to remember. :D

Megan said...

Hi, Michelle, thanks for your comment! I got my stuff used at Kid-to-Kid. The stroller is a double sit and stand, so there are two full seats + the bench thing at the back. I'm not sure what baby bjorn model it is.

Tara G. said...

You definitely have your hands full with that little boy!