Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Last Week of Summer and a Special Dinner

The last week before school started we tried to do as much as possible - cider mill, parks, play dates, swimming, trip to the Imagination Station in Ohio, and huge Labor Day party with our church.  It was a busy, busy week, but tons of fun.  In addition to all these festivities, I stole an idea from a friend of mine and we had a back to school dinner for the kids.  I've read about her back to school dinners on her blog for years but never wanted to do my own because either only one of the kids was going to school or it just seemed like too much work.  However, this year I was super excited to do our own because it is the first year that all three kids are in some form of school and I wanted to make a big deal about it.  So I followed her theme idea and went with "Be your best self" and decorated with bees.  The kids and I made them together so they don't look half as beautiful and professional as hers, but I thought it was fun to do it all together for their special day.  Bella made crowns for herself and the boys.  But Benjamin refused to wear his saying it was too girly.  Then they picked the menu - spaghetti and garlic bread - and chose the table decorations (all their favorite toys).  They got shooed out while I set it all up to surprise them a bit.  I made place cards that say "Welcome back to school" and their name.  I also wrote the theme on the window along with some more bees done in my pitiful art work style. See, I do art with kids, not always because it's fun and I want to teach them, but often because my art looks like a kid did it, so if I do it with them, I have an excuse.  Anyway, I wrote " 'Bee' your best self - Bee Prayerful, Bee Kind, Bee Hardworking."



Benjamin's place setting, complete with legos.


Bella's place, with Hello Kitty and Ariel.


Christian's with cars and planes.


The theme written on the window.  The sun light behind it makes it hard to see in the picture.


The kids loved it.  They loved having toys at the table because that's normally against the rules.  They loved seeing the bees flying on the fan, and they loved the food.  Kelly and I talked briefly about the theme and being the best you can be in those areas and how God will help you if you seek Him.  How they are children of God and how they should reflect that and be an example to others.  Kelly also gave all 3 of  them father's priesthood blessings.  They were all excited about that and Christian was so sweet and still.  Benjamin seemed the most touched by it, though, and has mentioned what he said in his blessing many times since.


It was a very special and fun evening.  We don't get many dinners together since Kelly is almost always at work or church during dinner time, but he made a special effort to be home and it was a great experience.  Thanks to Andrea for the inspiration.

3 comments:

Christine said...

What a great idea! It sounds like it was a lot of fun for all of you. And great job on the decorations. Very fun. :)

Megan said...

What an adorable idea! I love father's blessings at the beginning of the school year, Bill gave Sandy one, too, and it really made an impression on her.

Andrea said...

Michelle, I was just catching up on your blog and I was thrilled to read about this. I LOVE your bees. They turned out so cute. Love the whole thing. Hurray!