Saturday, August 29, 2020

5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed....

 ....One fell off and bumped his head!  So it happened for Peter today.  I was sitting with him on my bed while talking on the phone.  I was only on the phone for a minute trying to arrange a ride to church for an elderly woman in our congregation when he laid down and rolled.  I saw he was rolling precariously close to the edge of the bed, but he went just out of  reach and with half my mind occupied on the phone call and one hand on the phone, I missed grabbing him by a fraction of a second.  Down he went, face first, onto the floor.  He made no attempt to stop his fall with his hands and his nose and lips took the full impact.  I felt absolutely terrible.  He screamed for over 30 minutes straight.  I tried to help him, but he fought every attempt I made at applying ice or wiping blood.  So I just held him and sung to him and tried to distract him from the pain.  His poor little nose and upper lip swelled up and he looked so beat up.  I worried he wasn't going to be able to eat or drink for the rest of the day.  Babies heal so fast, though.  Within a couple hours his nose returned to normal and although his lip remained swollen, it didn't seem to bother him anymore.  He drank his evening bottle without any noticeable trouble.  Such a relief.  Benjamin told me later that when he heard the thud and then the crying, he came out of his room to see what was wrong, but the moment he saw the blood streaming down Peter's face, he just retreated to his room, put on his headphones, and tried to ignore it.  Definitely not going to be a doctor!


Once he'd stopped crying and started to perk up, we decided to take his mind off everything and head to the park.  He had a wonderful time at the playground.  He made a little friend there and the two of them played with the toy cars they had both brought and dug around in the wood chips together.  Christian climbed everything in sight and swung on the swings.  It was a wonderful breezy, cool summer day.  I was so happy to see Peter interacting with another child and doing well with him.  The boy's mother said Covid has been really hard on her son and she worries that he has so little interaction with others that he suffers a lot of loneliness and isolation.  We were both happy our children had a chance to get out a bit and make some new friends.  Thank goodness Gov. Whitmer hasn't shut down the playgrounds!




No comments: