Wednesday, August 26, 2020

The Latest Backyard Obsession

 All throughout these Covid months, we've been playing various games in the backyard.  We seem to have a favorite that lasts for days and then disappears completely as a new one takes the forefront.  This week's favorite is Can Slam (sometimes called Kan Jam).  It was Benjamin who suggested we play it.  I was really happy he wanted to do something outside with us for a change.  We have been having a blast.


The funny thing is, whenever I play it with Christian, he always finds some way to change the game and make it crazier.  Today his idea was to put the can on his head, have me throw the frisbee, and see if he could get the can off and dodge the flying frisbee in time.  I found that if my aim was good, he was unable to avoid it.

                    

However, my aim with a frisbee isn't stellar and on those tosses where I would have missed him anyway, he was able to throw the can off and "dodge" in time and feel like he was accomplished at this skill.  I have to admit that my favorite times were when he didn't dodge in time.  It was just so funny in a kind of twisted way.  He and I both had a lot of fun playing this strange version. 

                    

Peter just loved playing in the grass with us.  All his climbing has made him strong.  We have a large rock laying near the trampoline (for no good reason other than we don't know where else to put it) and at one point I heard him grunting.  I looked over and he was kneeling by it and trying to pick it up.  I didn't think he'd succeed, but once again he surprised me.  He hefted it into his lap and proudly grinned at me.  Then he plopped it down and did it again and again, each time looking to see if I noticed.  He's a strong kid.  I'm excited to work out with him when he's older.

 He also continues to use a spoon like a champ.  It definitely takes a long time because he just dips rather than scoops, but I love seeing him learning and he loves the independence.  I've tried to guide his hand in a scooping motion a couple times, but he shrieks hysterically and won't let me help him.  That's not a battle I'm going to fight.  He'll figure it out eventually.

                        

No comments: