Saturday, February 19, 2022

Peter-isms

 We took Peter with us to watch Emma (Bella's friend with whom we went sledding) play basketball.  She plays on the high school team and, in my opinion, is the best player they've got.  He, obviously, wasn't terribly interested in the game, though.  Luckily, he made a little friend.  It thrilled me that he found someone with whom to play and was comfortable enough to do so.  Maybe he won't be so anti-social after all.  He and his friend talked about favorite colors and pretended to play catch with a pretend ball and enjoyed his friend's toy Yoda immensely.  It was adorable.



Peter is very much a 'learn only by personal experience' kind of kid.  You can tell him something is hot a million times.  He will still touch it to make sure you're not lying.  It happened three times today that I told him something but he wasn't convinced until he'd tested it for himself.  The funniest of the three was when I was blending acorn squash to freeze for sauces and soup.  He thought I was making a fruit smoothie and asked to have some.  I explained that I'd cooked acorn squash and was blending it smooth to put in the freezer.  This wasn't a fruit smoothie and it wasn't sweet at all.  He threw a fit and begged that I give him some smoothie.  I explained again and assured him it wasn't smoothie.  He wasn't listening.  Fine.  Here's a spoon.  Try some.  One bite and he screamed louder than ever!  So loud and so dramatically and long, that doors slammed to all the teenager's bedrooms, and Kelly came upstairs to see what was going on.  I was trying to get him to drink some water to wash it out, but he wouldn't drink.  He just stood there with his tongue, covered in squash, hanging out of his mouth, screaming!  He attempted to spit it out into the trash, but that would have required him to close his mouth around it to spit it and he was too disgusted to do that!  I had to get a paper towel and wipe his tongue off a few times before he was willing to get a drink and close his mouth around the glass.  "Now do you believe me that it wasn't smoothie!?"  "Yes," he responded wearily, nodding his head.  Such a character.

No comments: