Thursday, February 24, 2022

The View from the Window

 This was my view from the front window today:


Not what anyone wants to see in their driveway.  A water main broke under our driveway this morning and so we were without water until the afternoon as the city tore up our driveway and fixed it.  The hole was massive!  Two guys climbed into it and completely disappeared from view.  Not terribly wide hole, but very deep!

You know who wasn't the least bit upset about the construction site in our space?  Peter.  Never had anything so exciting happened so close to home.  This was also my view this morning:


A backhoe and a dump truck in his own driveway!?!  How cool is that!?!  He got himself a stool to stand on for a better look and ran non-stop commentary on the whole thing.  It made the problem into something to be enjoyed and it honestly was pretty fun to watch.

In the end, they fixed the issue, turned the water back on, filled their giant hole with gravel, and left.  No word on how long it will take them to repave our driveway, if they ever do.  Right now we have a gravel driveway and it's going to be really interesting next time the rain gets heavy or the snow falls.  

One funny story of Peter for this week:

Peter has learned the concept of family relationships - mother, father, sister, brother, etc.  He's always  known I was his mom and Kelly was his dad, because that's what he calls us.  However, the others have only been names, never a relationship.  This week he clued in that Christian was his brother.  Now every time he sees him, he says, "Hi Christian, you my brother!" and he gets so happy.  Yesterday in the car, he said that to Christian and then the conversation continued to the others.

Peter: Blah (how he says Bella), what you?

Bella: I'm your sister.

Peter: You my sister!? Oh!  Christian you my brother.  Blah, you my sister! Benjamin, what you?

Benjamin: I'm your brother.

Peter: Ok! Christian you my brother.  Blah, you my sister.  Benjamin, you my bro...wait...You my brother!? Christian my brother.  How you my brother?  

    *this was so funny.  He just stopped mid-sentence and looked so confused.  Then that "wait" was that slow drawn out "wait just a minute here, I think you're trying to trick me!" kind of wait.

Benjamin: You can have more than one brother.  You have two brothers.

Peter: I have TWO brothers!? Wow!

    *then it was like Christmas morning.  Two brothers - what an amazing gift.  So much joy.  He proceeded to list everyone's relationship again and again throughout the car ride.  I loved it. 


No comments: