Thursday, March 03, 2022

Blessings of Scouting

 I've always loved scouts and I once again was reminded why this week.  Bella was trying to complete her last requirements for the next rank and this included completing an orienteering course.  We couldn't find one nearby, so I got permission from her scout master to design my own in a nearby park.  One afternoon we packed up and I gave her the map I'd printed and a compass and she had to lead us through the park to the landmarks I'd designated.  Had it not been for this requirement, she never would have ventured out in the freezing cold woods all afternoon and neither would Christian or Peter.  However, she was motivated to get it done and it was a total blast.  We had so much fun that no one wanted to go home.  Christian even said, "I'm so glad I came.  I would have spent the afternoon on my computer, but this was way better."  Yes!! If only they would always remember that.  If only I could have convinced Benjamin to come.  I think he would have had fun too.  The frozen lake was the highlight.  You could walk all the way across it.  They kids had a blast skating in their boots.



This is in the middle of the lake:


Peter's new favorite place to stand.  I have so many pictures of my other three there, that it was fun to see him finally find his way to this spot as well.  He's growing up.  We attended a preschool open house tonight for him!  What!?!?  Where has the time gone? 


Peter's favorite phrase currently: "Do you have pickles on your feet?"  I have no idea where this came from but he'll frequently call from another room, "Mommy!"  "Yes?"  "Do you have pickles on your feet?"  Yesterday Bella's friend Carolin was over.  He asked her, "Do you have pickles on your feet?"  Cute girl that she is, she said, "Why yes I do have pickles on my feet!  Thank you for noticing!"  He thought that was hilarious.  Funny kid.


No comments: