Monday, May 02, 2022

The City Gave Us A Sandbox

 I always said I didn't want a sandbox in our backyard because I didn't want all the sand tracked into our house.  Then the water main broke in front of our house and the city filled in the giant (4ft wide x 10 ft deep) hole with sand.  Voila, our own personal sandbox.  Peter has been so happy.  I've been doing lots of extra laundry.  On the plus side, it's right next to the street, so we've been able to talk to a lot of neighbors who walk by and it's been a pleasant way to spend some time on nice weather days. It's been fun to pull out the sand toys from our trip to Berlin and reminisce when all my kids loved to play in the sandbox.  



Benjamin had a band concert this week.  It was with all three schools - the upper elementary, middle school, and high school.  Benjamin performed with the symphony band and with the marching band.  The drumline wore white shirt, jeans, and sunglasses rather than the marching band uniform.  You'd think that would be an easy combo, but he'd outgrown his jeans and all his white t-shirts a few months ago and we hadn't bothered to replace them, so I had to buy a new outfit and would have much preferred he wear the uniform!  They all looked good out there, though.  I always like going to his concerts because it's one of the few things he seems to enjoy doing.  Especially the marching band, he always seems happy with them.  Seeing the whole audience rock out to the drumline was pretty fun, too. 

Although I have to admit, being in that packed of an audience gave me the willies after social distancing for so long.  It's the first big gathering I've been to in years now and Kelly and I were both pretty uncomfortable. Luckily we seem to have escaped illness-free.




With Summer coming, I wanted Peter to have a shorter haircut.  I also really wanted a chance to talk to a friend of mine so I called her up and asked if she'd cut Peter's hair.  She said she'd be happy to.  She's a licensed cosmetologist and cuts hair for lots of our friends.  Peter did such a good job.  First haircut by someone other than me and he was a little nervous, but he sat for much longer than I thought he would.  I'm happy with the result.  We came home and had home-made popsicles to celebrate.






No comments: