Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Happy 1 Month Birthday

Our little Benjamin turned 1 month old today. Hard to believe it's been a month already. I ordered his birth certificate today. (Leave it to Detroit to charge you for even your first copy of your own son's birth certificate. This city is so messed up.) Benjamin seemed extra cuddly today, though, which was so sweet. He spent a long time in the afternoon just laying peacefully on my chest, not asleep, just laying there. That's kind of unusual for him. Normally he's either falling asleep or bouncing around when he's on my chest. I sat there and tried to make a mental image of the moment because I know some day he's going to be grown and I'm going to wish for my little baby back on my chest. He was also especially smiley again. He laid on his changing pad for almost 30 minutes staring in the bathroom mirror grinning and squeeling at himself and me. In fact, when I got hungry and wanted to take him into the kitchen, he actually started fussing as I picked him up and only stopped when I laid him back down to look in the mirror for a little while longer. Can he really see anything in it? What does he see when he looks in there? I'm continually wondering how he sees the world and what he understands of it. Can he tell that I'm speaking a different language to him than his father does? Can he recognize the music I play as the music he heard while in the womb? Can he appreciate the fuzziness of his blanket vs. the roughness of my jeans? What is he thinking and what about the ceiling/wall/mirror does he find so funny? If only we could remember being that age. It's sad that such perceptions are lost to our memory and those who know, can't communicate it. I think it would be fascinating.

Oh yeah, I'm one month old already! Check me out!


In other news, he also vomited his dinner tonight, which was not pleasant, but I felt so bad for him. I hate to see him uncomfortable and I can't imagine losing what seemed like about 4 oz. of milk through your nose is very comfortable. I don't know why, but Benjamin doesn't spit up little bits like most babies. When he loses his lunch, it's full-out vomiting. He doesn't do it often, but he does it in style. It pours from his nose and his mouth simultaneously and it's always more than I even thought his stomach could hold. Needless to say, the carpet will need some cleaning tomorrow, in addition to the rocking chair cushion and both of our clothes.

He was smiling right before this, but by the time the camera flashed, the yawn was all I got. People say he has my nose. :)


A couple more attempts at the perfect one month old picture. I'm really no photographer. (That's my arm and my knees in the background.) Thank goodness he's photogenic.


I thought I'd include the lyrics of one of my favorite songs in today's post. It's by Dar Williams and I tear up every time I hear it because I think it's such a perfect tribute to a mother's love. I think of my mother as I listen to it and I think of Benjamin. Enjoy.

The One Who Knows
by: Dar Williams

Time it was I had a dream, and you're the dream come true. If I had the world to give, I'd give it all to you.
I'll take you to the mountains, I will take you to the sea. I'll show you how this life became a miracle to me.

You'll fly away, but take my hand until that day. So when they ask how far love goes,
When my job's done you'll be the one who knows.

All the things you treasure most will be the hardest won.
I will watch you struggle long before the answers come.
But I won't make it harder, I'll be there to cheer you on,
I'll shine the light that guides you down the road you're walking on.

You'll fly away, but take my hand until that day. So when they ask how far love goes,
When my job's done you'll be the one who knows.

Before the mountains call to you, before you leave this home,
I want to teach your heart to trust, as I will teach my own,
But sometimes I will ask the moon where it shined upon you last,
And shake my head and laugh and say it all went by too fast.

You'll fly away, but take my hand until that day. So when they ask how far love goes,
When my job's done you'll be the one who knows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song. Talk about tearing up...
Julie

PS: Beautiful pictures. He has grown so much. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

He's so cute! Oh, and my hair slowed down on falling out just barely, so another four months or so to go. :) I enjoy reading about your adventures as a mom. Babies sure are amazing little things aren't they?
AJ