Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Watch him like a hawk!

Benjamin requires constant supervision, I'm discovering more and more each day. If I can't watch him, I need to make sure to clear the area before going away. When I forget to do that, less desirable events occur. For example, yesterday I was cleaning on top of the fridge, which required me to move a chair up to it. Unfortunately, I ignored my rule and didn't Benji-proof the kitchen before moving onto the living room. The chair stood there in front of the fridge just calling to him. So while I was vacuuming I was wondering what Benjamin was doing. Usually he loves the vacuum and is all around me while I'm using it. After I'd been vacuuming for a couple minutes and he hadn't joined me yet, I began to worry. I turned off the vacuum and heard....water running! Not a good sign. Where was there water that he could reach on his own? Answer: the fridge door. I went running into the kitchen and found him standing on the chair that I'd so kindly placed for him. He was pushing on the water dispenser in the fridge door, staring with rapt attention at the stream that was gushing out all over him, the chair, and our wood floor. There was a puddle over half the kitchen floor and growing by the second. My first thought was, do I get the camera or do I stop him immediately? I decided that the puddle wouldn't show up well on the camera anyway, and I really needed to put a stop to this before it became unmanageable, so I grabbed him, instructed him to stay put in the dry area and grabbed all the towels I could. To his credit, he obediently stayed in that same spot the whole 15 minutes it took me to sop up the water. It's an adventure a minute with this kid!

Here's a harmless amusement he adores - grab my drawer organizer and wear it as a hat all day while playing with the kitchen utensils. He does this several times a week.



One last Benji-adventure: Today I patiently folded all the laundry while he was sleeping but then didn't have time to put it away before he woke up. So, stupidly I left it on the floor for a minute thinking I'd be sure to get back to it before he found it. Wrong. Here's what I found after literally, no less than 60 seconds unsupervised:



This time I made sure to get the camera before making him help me clean it up. He sure is a cutie, though. We all went to the golf course tonight and I played with Benjamin on the putting green. We had so much fun. Whenever my ball didn't go in, he'd run over and drop it in the hole for me. Then he'd grab one end of the putter and I'd grab the other and he'd run in a circle around me, laughing the whole time (until he'd face-plant) :) Then he'd just jump up and keep going. Trying though he is, I'd never trade my active, inquisitive boy for anything.

2 comments:

ZJBrewCrew said...

Adorable he is!....I'm sure Mom would say, "definitely Kelly's boy". I sure do wish you guys lived closer! Look at all the fun we're all missing! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, what an adventure. I'm sure glad it's you and not me. Just wait until he's terrific two and can drive the car!! I loved trying to keep up with Kelly but finally resorted to a harnass and a rope hooked to the clothes line so I could get some work done in the yard without watching him constantly. We had so much fun!! Hopefully your next wont be so driven. Lots of love, Mindy