Tuesday, January 08, 2008

18 Months Old


Benjamin is now a whole year and a half old! How amazing. The best part about this milestone - nursery!!! (Sunday School for kids 18 months-3years). I was so excited about Sunday that I was practically counting down the minutes. In my opinion, the time between which a child declares their independence (starts walking, no longer allows you to pay the slightest bit of attention to a lesson) until that glorious day when you can drop them off and get two hours of no cost, worry-free babysitting during church, is the longest period of time in all of toddler life. Since Benjamin started crawling at 6 months and walking at 10, this period has been especially long for me. Luckily I have the best calling in the world - primary presidency, so I have been able to deal with him better than I could have in any other situation, but oh nursery - how I love you! My only concern was that he would get sad and need me to stay with him. All my worries were unfounded, however. I walked him down the hall towards the nursery and he knew exactly what was coming - toys! He just let go of my hand, walked into the room, breezed past the teacher as she tried to greet him, and started to play. He never even looked back. I peeked in 2 or 3 times during the next couple hours to make sure he was okay, but he did great. He sat at the table and ate his snack, made his little paper crown to signify he's a Child of God and seemed to play well with all the kids. It was amazing. I was so happy. He seemed to have a great time because he was soooo hyper the whole rest of the afternoon! I've never seen him so wound up. It was hysterical. So now maybe I'll actually be able to do my calling instead of spending my time in the hallways keeping Benjamin from going into the other ward's bishop's office and playing on his computer! Yeah!


His new favorite thing to do is jump on my back whenever I'm bent down. Often I tickle him and put him down, but this time he clung on for dear life, so I agreed to play horsie and even in my fat, pregnant state, we trotted around the house for what felt like FOREVER. Still he threw a fit when I stopped, but this horse just wasn't going one more step.


It used to always be Baby Einstein, now he puts in Veggie Tales every time. And don't even try to turn it off until it's over! I just love looking at how cute he looks in his little seat (from which I removed the tag saying "not intended for children" because it's actually a dog bed.)

2 comments:

Julia said...

"my fat, pregnant state"

Oh you and your sarcasm. ;)

And I laughed pretty hard at the dog bed bit. You're such a rebel!

Tara G. said...

I am SO counting down the days for Maya to join Benjamin in Nursery! Can't wait! I love the way he sits on his little couch!