Sunday, January 27, 2008

Imagination Taking Shape

That's the slogan for Play-Doh. I'm not sure that's really applicable to Benjamin's interaction with play-doh, but he sure loves squishing it! :) I have always loved play-doh and have been wanting to buy it/make it for a while now but I worried that he would just try to eat it. Then I heard they'd played with it in nursery last Sunday and he hadn't tried to put it in his mouth at all, so I figured he was ready. At first I thought I'd make it, but that's so not me. Why spend all that time when I can just spend $3 and buy it?? So we took a trip to the toy store and after two hours of playing around, came home with some play-doh and some cute little shape makers. We have played with it every day since. He loves pushing the shapes into the doh, loves squishing his fingers in the doh and especially loves when I make little balls of doh that he can roll around and put in various containers. The best part is that this is finally one game of his with which I have just as much fun playing. And not to toot my own horn, but I can make a pretty amazing snake and my spirals aren't shabby either. I've also discovered that Kelly makes amazing carrots and coral formations. :) Seriously, though, Kelly actually has quite a hidden talent for play-doh. Still learning new things about him, even after all these years!


These past weeks in addition to our play-doh adventures, the biggest hit around here has been anything involving water. The dehumidifier, the dishwasher, the wash machine, and the shower are endless sources of entertainment. In addition, every day Benjamin wants to fill the kitchen sink with water, throw in a bunch of cups, bowls, pots, etc. and splash around. If there's already dirty dishes and standing rinse water available - all the better! Bits of food floating around too?? Jackpot!! It's gotten really quite disgusting a couple times before I learned to never leave anything sitting in water in the sink. Also, anytime a new container suitable for holding water is found, it must be tested. Such as the little play-doh cup! His first choice of water source, though, is always the fridge. That handy little water dispenser is so useful! Even when it's locked up, Benjamin doesn't let it dissuade him, that's when imagination truly takes shape.


2 comments:

La Familia Higgy said...

Let's see the coral designs!

Brooke said...

Ah, play-doh. How I love the stuff. I was reading a magazine article about it, and found that it's supposed to be almond-scented -- that's why it smells so good. Huh. I agree that I like the smell, but it isn't quite an almond smell, in my opinion.

Ben is so adorable!