Sunday, March 15, 2009

Everything Is About Play

As I think about my children's daily activities, I realize that everything is a game. Everything they do is play. Even when they're eating, they're playing with their food or making silly noises or silly faces at each other. When we're driving somewhere, they're passing toys back and forth and singing songs. It makes life very entertaining - exhausting, but entertaining. I love being their mom because some days it's fun to just toss aside all chores and just play all day too and I don't have to feel guilty because I see this as being a "good involved parent." :) This last week, as it's been raining so much outside, they played inside.



As soon as it cleared up, I heard, "play outside now mommy?" and they were off. Bella got daring on the slides and Benjamin did what he does best - get wet and muddy.



Forget the playground equipment! Look at this gigantic stick just floating there; just asking to be played with!


What can I do with it now? I know - I'll throw it back in!


Wow! Did you see that splash! That was fantastic! Can I do it again, mom?


Bella's also become a real explorer. She's never content to sit on my lap for long. Everything is unexplored territory. She also loves going down stairs. She's so cute as she slides on her belly, checking occasionally to make sure I'm still there. She's not as fond of up, but probably because down is where the toys are!




And nothing is more interesting than the camera! One picture and she's charging for you. I have to hold her back with my knees if I want an additional shot.



As for Benjamin, he's certainly my son. I was feeding Bella and he wanted to play Jenga. When I finished and checked on him - here is what I found. Nothing says type-A like taking a toy of endless possibility and choosing to build a perfectly symetrical road.



To his credit, his next creations were a robot, a castle, and a "friend." I couldn't quite make it out - but he told me his friend had "face, buttons, boots, you know - everything!" Why didn't I take a picture of that!? I think I was too shocked that he had suddenly picked up so many new words.

And when the day's all done - what better place to curl up and take a nap, then with your favorite blanket in the guitar case?

No comments: