Saturday, January 16, 2010

Now I Am Officially Pregnant

Yesterday as I stared into my fridge feeling nauseated by everything in there, including the smell, I thought how yummy some pickles would be and wrote them on the grocery list attached to the fridge door. As soon as I'd written that I laughed out loud. Truly, pregnancy has begun. The only thing funnier would have been if ice cream had followed on the list.

One more thing that I just had to write, especially with everything going on in Haiti and the inherent increase in gratitude it's given me for my own charmed life: It was 9pm tonight and I remembered that I never bought grapes for nursery snack tomorrow. Church doesn't start until 1pm, but I'm not going to go shopping on a Sunday so I put on my big coat over my pjs and went to the store. On my way home I thought how amazing the whole trip was. I was able to decide at 9 pm on a Saturday in the middle of winter that I wanted green grapes. So I put on a wonderful warm coat, got in a heated car and drove a mere 1.3 miles to a beautifully stocked, warmed, well lit, and safe grocery store which is open 24 hours/day 7 days/week, and within 2 feet of the front door, there was a table covered in bags of sweet, plump green grapes for a mere $1.89/lbs. I purchased them with a swipe of a plastic card and within 10 minutes of when I'd decided I needed grapes, I was back home enjoying them. God bless America. May we never take beautiful stuff like that for granted.

5 comments:

Carla Geddes said...

So TRUE! Funny you should mention this, cos I was thinking along similar lines on this trip. Keep watching my blog for my explanation. It is to be my 'end of vacation' blog.
Hope you feel less nauseated soon. I hated that about pregnancy.

Megan said...

sorry about the nausea, that is the worst!

Jordan and Chandra Smith said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy! We are happy for you guys!

Crissy said...

This post made me grateful to live in America, there are so many things that we take for granted!!

The Bennett's Tall Tales and True Stories said...

I, too, have had many a moment of gratitude in the wake of the Haiti earthquake. It seems that when these tragic events take place it jostles us a bit and wakens us once again to be thankful, something which we should recognize on a daily basis but don't. I was so grateful that I could go to the grocery store to get water...something that's a necessity but that many don't have access to. Our life is so easy compared to so many. Let us not forget the struggles that so many people endure every day, and let us be continually thankful for our homes, our food, our water, and our families. Thanks for the reminder Michelle.