Sunday, July 03, 2011

Happy 5th Birthday!


Five years old! I remember when he was a baby and I thought 5 year old boys seemed so huge and wild and well...stinky and messy and terribly unappealing. :) Now I have a 5 year old wild and often stinky boy and wow, do I love him!


He amazes me every day with his intelligence, humor, athletic ability, and generosity. He also drives me crazy with his violent temper that will flare in an instant and his perfectionism that leads him to give up on anything he can't master at first try. But it's not like I don't know where he gets that! For Benjamin's birthday he got his two wishes - an RC car and a two-wheel scooter. We also got him a slip-and-slide. Between those three gifts, the rest of the day was set.



Not to mention his race car birthday cake and design-a-face pancake dinner at IHOP (where they sang and gave him an ice cream - which he shared with Bella of his own volition - remember how I said he was generous?). He had a great day. Even tonight he prayed, "thank you for my birthday yesterday." That made me feel better because I had some mommy guilt about not throwing a party for him. I just didn't have it in me after our long trip these last two weeks and the BBQ with friends we're having for the 4th. Kelly says that's the only child in me - having had a party on every birthday - he says it's okay not to have one every time and I'm trying to listen to that. ;)

Benjamin will start Kindergarten this fall and he's so excited. He's met his teacher and likes her a lot already. He's going to do amazing things. Happy Birthday, Benjamin! We love you so much.


5 comments:

AJ said...

You certainly don't need a birthday party every year. We decided to alternate, one year a party and the next we go somewhere with one friend. This is a fantastic thing for us with Sam and Hannah having birthdays so close.

Happy Birthday to your Benjamin!

The Bennett's Tall Tales and True Stories said...

Happy birthday Benjamin! Can't believe you're already five! Wow, time sure does whiz by!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Benjamin! It looks like you will have a great sixth year!

Tara G. said...

Wow...I remember when we were pregnant at the same time and now our kiddos are 5 this year. Happy late Birthday Benjamin! Looks like he had a lot of fun on his special day!

Stacy said...

He looks so tall now! And amazing on the bike. Xavier is more timid and prefers shorts rides around the school playground. I've noticed that X really is the stinky, wild one now. So funny. The new kids in his preschool class seem so tiny. Now on to kindergarten! Happy birthday, Benjamin!