Thursday, January 05, 2012

Rites of Passage

Bella passed through a classic rite of passage this week - she cut her own hair. I remember doing that as a kid and I'm sure many others do too. Grab the scissors, close the bathroom door, climb up on the sink, and hack away.

I was in the kitchen with Christian when I heard the sound of scissors cutting through something thick. I heard it two or three times and decided this needed investigating. I came into the bathroom to find this:


She was completely undeterred by my arrival and continued to cut long after I'd come in. She was so happy doing it and so proud of herself that I didn't stop her. I was curious to see how far she'd go. She ended up doing quite a hackjob on the sides but left the back mostly in tact so she now has a bit of a rat-tail look.



When she finally laid down the scissors, I asked, "Do you like what you did? Do you think you look pretty?" She beamed back at me in the mirror, nodded her head, flipped her hair with her hands, and said, "yes!" "We should probably go somewhere and have it fixed a little," I said. "Why??" she asked, truly puzzled. So we've decided to let it go for a week or two and then get a friend to clean it up a bit. "I wanted it short like Benjamin's because my hair grows so fast it's crazy!" she explained to Kelly that evening. If only that were true. It's taken us 2.5 years to fully recover from her hair ripping as a 1 year old. But alas, if she wanted short hair, she's definitely going to have it.

As for Benjamin, he didn't want to be left out of the action and cut his hair too, but he was so timid about it and cut so little that I couldn't even tell. He insisted he cut a lot and had me take pictures and asked me if I thought he looked good, but they aren't even worth posting - they look exactly the same. So funny. His rite of passage this week was his 5 and 1/2 birthday. He was so excited.


We made cupcakes - a rarity around here - and sang to him and I agreed to play whatever game he chose and so of course he chose to pretend that I'm his horse. I got to crawl around whinnying with all the kids on my back for an hour or so before I declared the 1/2 birthday celebration over.

We also, not as part of his birthday, did some fun snow and ice experiments this week, to make up for the lack of such things outside. We played with sodium polyacrylate (fake snow) and made frost develop on a can. (The frost experiment can be found here.) It's so great playing with snow in the warmth of the kitchen while still in pajamas! Benjamin decided his bugs would like to play in the snow too.



It was a lot of fun talking about the various scientific principles behind these things. Benjamin loves that kind of stuff. It is so cool to see his brain working to understand these things which he can't see. He's dying to have a microscope and a telescope - although he can never keep the terms straight! :) So funny how he's always asking for a microscope so he can look at the stars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job, Isabella. Better than I did at your age.
Love you.
Mimi

AJ said...

Fortunately I think we skipped the cut our own hair phase. I remember someone getting a tiny bit cut but nothing like Isabella. Although, she still has more hair than my three year old. You are awesome to even let her keep going once you cut her.