Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Fun at the Mall

 Bella and her friends walked to the mall after school yesterday.  They shopped a bit (in the stores that were still open and had survived Covid) and ate and I sat at home and asked myself, "How did I get to the point where my daughter is hanging out at the mall with her friends!?!  Where has the time gone?"  When she got home she told me about a shirt she liked but couldn't buy because her friends were moving on.  I suggested I go look at it with Peter and get it for her if it's in her price range.  So, Peter and I went to the mall.  It was Peter's first time ever and my first time in years.  First mistake: assume the mall opens at 10 as you remember from your youth.  Nope, it opens at 11 now.  So, that meant it was just me and the mall walkers strolling around the shuttered stores.  I debated about going home, but then I saw something perfect for Peter.  It was the one kid-friendly space in the mall that they haven't closed due to Covid.  Presumably because it's the only place that costs money.  I didn't tell him the machines did more than sit there and he was perfectly happy without inserting a single coin.  He ran around until the stores opened and wasn't very happy to give up play time to go clothes shopping.  Being Peter, though, he complained for about 30 seconds and then moved on with his life.  Once we actually got into the store, I discovered that the shirt Bella liked was actually a Men's XXL and they didn't have a smaller size, so that shirt was out.  I'm glad we found the fun toys so the trip wasn't a total waste.




No comments: