Saturday, August 28, 2021

Little Boy's Dream Day

 Today we went to "Touch-A-Truck."  It was a community event in which every truck you could possibly imagine was all in one place and open to all the excited toddlers in the area.  They had everything from the usual police and fire vehicles to garbage trucks, army tanks and hummers, cranes, all the construction vehicles you can think of, a school bus, jeeps, golf carts, an animal control truck, and even a massive helicopter.  It was a HUGE variety and the whole thing was open to exploration.  It was honestly a bit overwhelming for Peter at first.  I brought him and Christian there and told Peter, "Go where you want to go and we'll follow."  He just stood there and stared unmoving.  So, I said, "Do you want to see the helicopter or the fire truck?"  Again, zombie stare.  So, at that point I gave up, plopped him in the stroller, and started walking.  He wouldn't get out of the stroller to explore the first several things we visited.  After about 30 minutes of dumbfounded gawking, he finally warmed up when he saw the police horse.  I handed my phone to Christian and asked him to take a picture of me and Peter with the horse.  This was the picture he took.

Not exactly the angle I was looking for, but it's all we've got.  The next thing that really excited him was the school bus.  He's gone with me to get Christian off the school bus his whole life and he was really excited to get on one himself.  Christian came in the first time because he wanted a chance to sit in the driver's seat.


Peter wanted to go through it again, though, so I sent Christian outside to get a picture of Peter at the window.  This is the picture we got.


How he managed to take such a ridiculously dark photo on the hottest, sunniest day we've had all year, is beyond me.  That was when I stopped giving my phone to Christian.  Trust me, Peter was really cute looking through that window.

After that, enough people had arrived at the event that the lines at each truck became unbearable.  20 minutes in line with a 2 year old in the heat to sit in a garbage truck?  No thanks.  So our choices of where to go next were based solely on length of line.  As a result, we ended up at the jeep, the front end (the part that doesn't control the crane) of the crane truck, the animal control truck, and the police golf cart.  Haha!  The funny thing is that Christian later said the jeep was his favorite and Peter seemed happiest in the golf cart.  My favorite was seeing the AirWolf helicopter circle over head and land next to me.  I'd never been that close to one landing before.  I was so intrigued, I completely forgot to take a picture. Even though the line to see it up close was way too long, I'd already seen all I was interested in.  Everyone left happy and looking forward to next year.
















No comments: