Saturday, August 28, 2021

You Have to Try the Gyros

This weekend was the annual festival at the Greek Orthodox church.  I've taken the kids there in the past, but they didn't remember and so I decided to go again this year.  We enjoyed gyros and souvlakis, listened to traditional Greek music performed on traditional Greek instruments and watched Greek dancers of all ages.  It was a fun, although crazy hot, day.  

I went over to the band and talked to one of the performers about his instrument.  He plays a cimbalom and is one of only 6 people in all of North America that play one.  It was very fun to watch them all play.


I loved the dances the most.  The music had a lot of fun energy and a great beat.  I loved how every dance was a group dance with lots of clapping and synchronous tapping, jumping, and moving.  It created such a feeling of community and friendship and really made you want to join in the fun the group was having.  I can see how a big Greek wedding with dances like that would be a blast.

No comments: