Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Service Project

 I have a friend who is suffering from a rare cancer and so I have been trying to do what I can for him and his family.  (It was his kids that I took to the trampoline park.)  Due to his cancer, he hasn't had any time or strength to deal with his yard.  I decided to help.  I called a bunch of people who know him and asked them all to show up at his house at a certain time.  I figured the more people, the faster the work will go.  Amazingly, everyone I asked, showed up.  It was great.  The kids all worked hard and weeded, picked up sticks, cut down overgrowth, raked, etc.  On the way home, everyone wanted to go get ice cream, but no one could agree on where to go!  Bella wanted Dairy Barn, Christian wanted Baskin Robbins, Benjamin wanted Ritter's, Kelly wanted Guernsey, and I, of course, didn't want ice cream.  So, an agreement was never reached and we ended up back home.  However, all was not lost.  I pulled a 1/2 gallon of our favorite vanilla ice cream out of the garage fridge and everyone loved it.  Christian ate his in a cone, Bella melted it down and ate it by pouring it into a cone and drinking it like a cup, Benjamin ate many, many servings - one in a bowl, one in a cone, etc.  Kelly got out the blender, oreos, and candied nuts and made a milk shake which he and Benjamin shared. It was the perfect ice cream night for such a diverse family. It was really fun working and playing together.  Hopefully we can find more chances like this to serve.

My friend took a few pictures of us working and posted them on his FB as a thank-you.  I didn't get any pictures of the event, but here's one he took.  You can see me with Peter on the far left. Most of us are in this picture.  Christian was working in the front yard with another group of people.


No comments: