Monday, June 13, 2022

Passport to Safety

Saturday was our town's annual safety day.   Police cars, ambulances, fire trucks, etc. all on display for kids.  There were police K9 demonstrations, a "jaws of life" demonstration where they cut open a car, police horses, bike safety course, etc.  Peter had a great time, although he was a bit shy with so many strangers.  Many times he avoided things that he initially wanted to do once a volunteer came up and offered to help.  I managed to get a couple fun pictures anyway.  After a while he declared he'd had enough and asked to go to the library instead. 



When we got home, Peter took a nap and I got back to work sewing a skirt for Bella for pioneer trek next week.  I was still working on it when Peter woke up, so he wanted to help.  He loved seeing how pressing the pedal made the sewing machine run so I let him help me a little, but that wasn't working very well.  I finally set aside the skirt and suggested we make him a little something.  I let him cut the fabric and showed him how to thread the needle and then he pressed the pedal as I moved the fabric around and we sewed him a little bag for his toys.  I would have made it more elaborate if he'd been a little older, but the simple pillowcase style bag suited him just fine.  He loved it so much we ended up making three, each with different fabric and slightly different sizes.  He was so excited.



No comments: