Monday, September 11, 2006

After all, God is a parent too

We invited some friends over for a game night tonight, so I had to make sure my apartment was presentable. However, it was another no nap day for Benjamin. So, that meant whatever I did, had to be done with him and he wasn't interested in cleaning. So, by 3pm, I still hadn't done any. Finally I gave up and took him to the post office where I needed to mail a certified letter. He fell asleep on the way home, but I assumed that he'd wake up again when I got him inside, as he always does. He has never slept more than 5 minutes in his car seat outside of the car. But, not wanting to waste a second, I put his seat on the floor and started moping, hoping to at least finish the kitchen before he started to cry. I finished the kitchen and he was still asleep, so I did the entry way...then the guest bathroom...then the master bath...and he was still asleep!! So I started scrubbing tubs, cleaning toilets and sinks, and dusting the furniture. Finally, as I finished off the very last thing, I heard him start to fuss. It was a miracle! I'd finished the whole place! The only thing I had left was vacuuming (hadn't wanted to make so much noise), so I put him in his bouncer seat and he watched me vacuum, completely contented. Honestly, I don't know what happened, but I can only assume it was divine intervention. Heavenly Father knows what it's like to be a parent and really need your child to take a nap. I've never seen Benjamin sleep so soundly in his seat and I've never seen him sit so long and watch me vacuum! Even when I vacuumed in other rooms, he sat quietly and waited. It was a miracle of immense proportions. Parting the red sea has nothing on this! So, my place looked great and I was all excited. Then the phone rang - our friends weren't going to be able to come. They wanted to postpone until Friday. Oh well, my place still looked fantastic. At least I could enjoy it. :) Now let's hope for another miracle on Friday.

Benjamin in his bouncer seat yesterday. He really enjoys the lights and sounds, and especially the mirror in the middle. He "talks" to and smiles at the baby he sees inside it.


I was in this picture too, but it's a "self portrait" so to speak, and it was far from flattering, so now it's only a picture of Benjamin. He looks very serious in this shot. I think it's cute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Benjamin has grown a lot. He is alert and curious - maybe that's why he does not want to go to sleep during the day. Too much to see. :) It is a good thing.
Julie