Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A tall drink of water

That's what the doctor called Benjamin today. Apparently, that's supposed to mean that he's tall and skinny. He's 24.5 inches long and weighs 12lbs 1oz. So, at two months old, that puts him in the 95th percentile for height and the 50th percentile for weight. Looking at me, the doctor declared that he likely gets his genes from the other side of the family. Thanks doc, so are you saying I'm short or that I'm fat? ;) But he added that at 2 months, it's too early to really tell. In any case, Benjamin is a perfectly healthy little boy and thanks to the shots he got today, hopefully he'll stay that way. Of course, I would have loved to spare him that ordeal. I've never heard him wail with such intensity! Three times they poked his little thigh with needles. I read in a parenting magazine that you shouldn't try to distance yourself from the situation and look like the good guy by saying things like "That was mean, wasn't it?" or "What a nasty doctor to poke you like that!" Instead you should focus on why they're doing it and how you know it may hurt but you want to protect them. So, I tried to remember that and although I wanted to dissassociate myself from that awful feeling, I held his little hand, stroked his head, and told him how important all this was for him and how he'll be healthy and strong later on because of it. Who knows if that really made any difference to him and that's not to say that it didn't still break my heart to see him poked like that. But alas, it's over. Now I'm supposed to go get a flu shot to keep from possibly giving the flu to Benjamin. The problem is that I've never gotten the flu except the one time that I got a flu shot! ;)

Some more tummy time:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked it up and my baby at 8 weeks was 10 pounds and 23 1/2 inches. Benjamin is absolutely perfect. It is heartbreaking to see him poked, but think about the incredible health benefit. His little leg will hurt for a while, but that too will pass.
You are such a sweet mom.
Julie

Anonymous said...

Lucas was 23 inches and 11 lb 13 oz at his 2 mo. and he was in the 50% for both...but they both are tall glasses of water. So what's the opposite: a mug of buttermilk?

Laura

Anonymous said...

The opposite it probably my child who was in the 95th percentile for weight (75th for height) until somewhere between 6-9 months, when they then wondered if he was getting enough to eat since he didn't gain as much weight. It all seems to even out around two anyway.
AJ

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle, Thank you for the wonderful photos of Benjamin. Keep them coming.
Mom

Anonymous said...

A trip around the block works every time. Heavenly, mechanical, technical intervention - whatever works.
Julie