Friday, February 15, 2008

Independent Play

Benjamin is someone that really doesn't play well alone. It's something I've been working on with him for a while, but he didn't make a lot of progress until we got our piano recently and he's been forced to entertain himself for at least 30 minutes every day while I practice. At first he threw a fit anytime I even walked over to it because he knew he was about to be ignored, but I really want to finally get better and not waste the 12 years of lessons I took, so I stuck with it. Now he whines right at first, and then quickly finds things to do. Most of the time, they're harmless. However, not always. The problem is that when I'm playing, I kind of zone out everything else and as I finished my last song and turned around, this is what I discovered today! Maybe this independent play thing isn't such a great idea! :) Fortunately, he helped me clean it all up again.


This evening Benjamin's friend Maya came over to play. They did really well together and did a lot of running around and chasing each other. I also loved having Maya around at dinner time because Benjamin wouldn't eat any of the food until he saw that Maya liked it and then he decided he'd try it too. It's the best he's eaten at dinner in a long time. Gotta love peer pressure. Thanks Maya! Here's a couple of pictures of our musical virtuosos. The pianos seemed to be their favorites all night.


5 comments:

Tara G. said...

I'm so happy they play well together. Thanks again for watching her and sorry about her fit! I had no idea you played the piano! I am so jealous, I could never stick to one instrument that long. Love the mess that Benjamin made!! Too cute!

T and B said...

Wow! What a mess. I'm glad you made him help clean it up.

Maya and Benjamin are so cute! I love the fact that they play so well together. How fun!

ZJBrewCrew said...

Oh that's too funny!! At least it was the church pictures he scattered--- maybe he learned a few good things in the process. :) No doubt -- he will be such a good boy!! Good job Kelly and Michelle for so greatly raising such a good kid--!--despite the exhaustion it causes!!

lizroxy said...

I can totally empathize with the papers spread everywhere picture. That is what Lauren's room looks like after about a half an hour of independent play. Though it is mostly books and toys. I try to keep paper away from her as she still insists on eating whatever paper product falls within her grasp.

Brooke said...

Piano lessons? I had no idea you were getting back into those. Mighty impressive, if I do say so myself.