Monday, February 11, 2008

Toddlers are exhausting


I try to keep this blog positive and optimistic as much as possible. Because we all know that there's plenty to complain about and stress about and feel guilty about when you're the mother of a toddler - a slightly obsessive compulsive, perfectionist mother, no less. However, I just have to be blatantly honest today and say that I'm exhausted! This kid rearing gig is hard work! The older he gets, the stronger he gets and the more willful he gets! Don't do things the way he wants and he lets you know it! The earpiercing screams, the tantrums, the toys flying at your head, etc. all make for a very challenging day. So, a couple days ago when he suddenly fell asleep (hours from nap time) in the hallway from the shear effort of it all, I said a little prayer of thanks. Did I try to move him into his bed? And risk waking him - no way! I tucked him in and went about my business as quietly as possible. It was a glorious, much needed moment of peace. My consolation is that I know all mothers of toddlers go through these same things. It only feels like I'm the only one in the world, but I know I'm not. There's lots of well mannered 5 and 6 year olds out there, so obviously their mothers survived and despite zero prior experience, managed to pull it off. I'm just glad God made Benjamin so cute, because sometimes that's the only thing that saves his little hide.

2 comments:

Tara G. said...

He's so sweet and innocent-looking! How could he be giving you a hard time!? Haha. Yesterday Maya threw a book at my head when I told her I wouldn't read it again, we literally read that book 10 times! They'll both get over this stage, right?? You should bring Benjamin over again so you can have a rest. We had a great time on Friday!

Anonymous said...

Being cute sure saves a lot of little kids, it's what saves mine on a regular basis! AJ