Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Her Own Style

Isabella has taken a sudden intense interest in sunglasses and insists on wearing them any time she can...with one small difference.


She will never let me put them on right-side up. I explained two or three times that the little hole is for her nose and showed her how to wear them, but each time I'd find she'd turned them back over. So now every day when she goes outside and demands, "glasses!!!" I just hand them to her and let her put them on herself. The funny thing is that this comes at about the same time she's decided that she never wants to wear gloves, hats, pants, shoes, or socks. So most often her eyes are about the only thing being protected. Yesterday I spent 45 minutes trying to convince Benjamin to get dressed and when he finally did, I turned around and saw that Bella had stripped down to her onesie. Grrrrr. When it comes to style, she has all her own ideas. There is no forcing her to wear anything she doesn't want to wear; she'll just take it back off. I've decided to consider it charming. I make suggestions and let her wear what she wants. I can't wait until Summer when I can more easily say okay to being barefoot all day.

Today we went bowling with my German mom's club. (By the way, Bella grew tired of the bowling shoes and bowled in her socks for most of the game.) The kids had a great time. We were the only ones in the whole place so no smoke and no worries about toddlers running around wild. It was wonderful. The best part of all - Benjamin won with 85 points. Wow, I'm a terrible bowler! But it was a lot of fun.



One more cute thing - the kids love making forts in the living room. Their recent favorite is their "library fort" which they construct by the bookshelf so they can read with a flashlight. I tried to get a picture and they heard me and shooed me away as the "bad monster." I love when they play well together and aren't screaming or hurting each other. I also love the few moments of alone time it affords me. :)


Sidenote: it's a good thing the blanket is in the way in this picture because both my kids refused to wear anything below the waist this afternoon. We keep our house at 63 and yet Benjamin's comment was "I like to be cold." I pick my battles and that is not one I'm going to fight. However, I did insist on a diaper for Bella rather than cleaning my carpets.

6 comments:

Loni said...

I think our kids would get along wonderfully, especially building forts! That is my kids favorite thing to do these days.

Ava went through a phase of wearing her sunglasses the same way, I wonder why? But eventually she decided they fit better the right way!

Megan said...

I love that we have blogs to document these things... I think that it will be fun to remember the little things like Bella's upside down sunglasses.

Megan said...

Do you have any tips for keeping a diaper on? You mentioned you insisted Bella wear one even though she wasn't wearing anything else on the bottom so I thought you might have a trick.

Sandy loves to take off her diaper. She wears a onesie every day under her clothes because if I layer her well enough she can't get her diaper off or stick her hand down her pants.... but I'm not sure how much longer that will last... not too mention, summer is coming and layers might be a little warm.

Mary said...

Bella loves to put on the Mr. Potato Head sunglasses in Nursery! And what do you mean nothing else - Benjamin was el comando? I think you're raising a couple of nudist!

Rachelle K said...

I just caught up with all your posts...man, I miss you guys! Your little ones are just two funny and so smart! I love the video of Isabella counting and the blog about Benjamin's dancing partner running off. I am so glad you are doing well. I will have to call you one of these days and hopefully catch you when you aren't at the gym or Costcos. Do I have bad timing or what! :)

Than and Erica said...

So, the story is, in november of 2008 my arthritis kicked into high gear and I was functioning at about 25% for most of 2009. It was pretty awful but because I had a pre-existing condition, I couldn't get insured and didn't want to pay the big bucks to go to the doctor. So, in december, I went to a kind of out there doctor and they put me on this diet of no sugar, no grain, and no dairy. I only lasted on it for 2 weeks but I lost like 8 pounds. And it didn't make me feel any better so I pulled myself off of it and Loren foot the bill for me to go to a real RA doctor. (it was $1300 in the end...sucky i know.) But now I'm taking a steroid and my pregnancy hormones should kick in here in a few weeks and I should be feeling more normal. But yes, I am fully off of my crazy arthritis diet now. maybe it would be a good thing if i went back on! :)