Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Tradition Continues

Last Summer Benjamin and I started a tradition of having our lunches as picnics outside whenever weather permitted. Sometimes Bella joined us but most often she was napping and it was just the two of us on a towel in the backyard. We did this nearly every day until it got too cold to continue. Yesterday was the first day when the grass was dry enough and it was sunny enough to sit and eat outside. Instantly upon coming home from school Benjamin asked, "It's a nice day outside, isn't it? Let's have a picnic!" As luck would have it, Isabella only took a 45 minute nap (those are becoming far more common than any other length, unfortunately) so she was up and ready to join us. The eating part of our picnics are usually the shortest part of all. The fun part is the chance to run around like crazies the whole time. The kids certainly burn more calories than they take in. But how to resist when there are pools to be jumped on


soccer to be played


gardens to weed (he volunteered to do this!)


and trees to climb?


I neglected to take a picture of our stint as pirates when they made me their slave and made me row the boat after our sail got torn. I guess I was too busy rowing. :)

I also enjoyed the silly string we'd gotten as a party favor at a birthday party a couple days earlier, but my kids were terrified of the stuff. How many times do you stress the idea of avoiding spraying things from random cans at each other? Suddenly I'm handing them a suspicious can and encouraging it! No wonder they were hesitant. So I was able to convince them to spray it on the lawn and then throw it at each other. That didn't go over well either. Alas, the age for silly string obviously hasn't arrived.



After our 2 hour picnic, we went with a friend and her sons to Rainbow Recreation, a place that sells outdoor play equipment and allows you to play in their showroom (both indoor and outdoor). That was a lot of fun too. They've got trampolines, swings, basketball hoops, etc. The biggest laugh I got, though, was when I checked out the price tags. Here's Bella playing in what's called "The Big Enchilada." I think they should call it the Big Golden Enchilada, considering it's price is $13,600. There are well-kept 2 bedroom homes in the neighboring city (Redford) going for that price! I think we'll just drive to the showroom and play from time to time. I can buy a lot of gas for $13,000. The sad thing is, knowing my kids, I could shell out that money and buy one of those things and in two weeks they'd be bored and stop playing with it. They don't even like going to the same playground too often!

4 comments:

InnocentBystander said...

Awesome - backyard adventures are the best. Pretty soon you and Kelly will be making the kids a tree house. While the Golden Enchilada is a bit pricey, our kids play on our (much more modest) playset every day they go outside. I'd call them totally worth it, if you end up staying below $2000.

Megan said...

Sounds like a fun day! I love free stuff to do! That indoor showroom of playground equipment sounds like a blast!

Thanks for the tips on keeping diapers on you left on my blog... the onesie is working for now, it's good to know we can use duct tape if we get desperate! :)

Loni said...

It's a glorious day when the kids can get back outside to play! I'm glad you enjoyed a nice sunny day!

AJ said...

I may have to try picnics in the yard this spring and summer. And you are quite right about not wanting to play on a playground or whatnot after a couple of days. Yes we have a great playset and they do enjoy it. But when I offer it as something to do I am sometimes told it is "no fun unless there is a friend over" and siblings apparently don't count as friends.