Monday, September 08, 2008

Garbage Comedy


I just have to share a funny story from our crazy house this week. Friday is our usual trash day, but since it was labor day this past week, it moved trash day to Saturday. However, by the time Friday rolled around, we had long since forgotten what we'd done on Monday, so dutiful Kelly carried our two garbage cans, our recycling bin, and all our miscellaneous boxes and whatnots to the curb. As he was finishing and getting ready to head to work, our friendly neighbor yelled over, "there's no trash pick-up today!" So Kelly carried the recycling bin, the boxes, and the whatnots, all back into the garage and drove to work. An hour or so later, I get in the car to go to the gym and see all the trash in the garage. "Why didn't he take out the trash!?" I wonder. I could have sworn I heard him dragging it outside! So I put the kids in the car and then hurriedly carried the recycling bin, the boxes, and the whatnots out to the curb (for what I think is the first time.) This time there's no neighbor shouting to me becaus she's likely in her house laughing at me. When I drive back down our street a couple hours later, much more clear headed after my workout, I notice that we are the only ones on the street with our garbage out. Then I remember - Labor Day! So I drag the recycling bin, the boxes, and the whatnots back into the garage. Saturday dawns and Kelly takes Benjamin to Home Depot for some male bonding. I hear the garbage trucks and remember about yesterday's fiasco. I look out the window to see if I'm too late. No - the trash across the street is still there. Great! So I go into the garage and drag out the recycling bin, the boxes, and the whatnots out to the curb - again! As I am walking back up the driveway I notice something disturbing - maybe the garbage on the other side of the street is still there - but all the cans on our side are upsidedown and empty!! I was too late! I thought about carrying my garbage over to my neighbor's house but I didn't feel comfortable doing that. So, I turned around and drug the recycling bin, the boxes, and the whatnots back up to the garage. So, now we've carried our garbage back and forth FOUR times and still it sits in our garage, stinking the place up. Such is life in our house. You just have to laugh. I can only imagine the laughs we provided our neighbor! :)

No comments: