Thursday, September 18, 2008

Those Thieving Ducks!


We went to our weekly German mom's club play group on Wednesday and this time we were at Shiawassee Park. However, since Benjamin and I had just been there recently, he found the playground far less interesting than the rushing stream. The recent rains had swollen the normally placid stream into a deep, rushing one and it was irresistible to a certain water-obsessed little boy. The best part, though, was that all the ducks were out on the grass again and one of my friends in the group had brought a bag of bread for them. So Benjamin and her little boy Luca got large pieces of bread to feed the ducks. (An old lady with a HUGE bag of cut up bread also came just as we started, so the ducks were in a frenzy.)



Benjamin gave two pieces to the ducks and then decided that he was hungry too and proceeded to eat the bread himself. Never let down your guard around hungry ducks, though. Even though he was standing on the bench, when he lowered his hand to his side, a particularly ferocious duck jumped into the air, and grabbed the bread from him. Benjamin sobbed hysterically until he got another piece of bread. However, after a couple more bites, he again got distracted by the mob of ducks and forgot his previous lesson. Once again a go-getter of a duck jumped up and snatched his bread away. Despite his tears, I just had to laugh a little at the sight. Those ducks knew what they wanted and weren't going to let some little boy eat it up. I made sure to give him something to eat once we were out of range. ;) Once the ducks were sated, they meandered back into the water and for some reason Benjamin and his pal Luca thought that was the funniest thing on earth. Each time a duck would flap up and splash into the water, they'd about bust a gut laughing. It was the cutest thing. And once again I forgot my camera. Thank goodness for camera phones. Remind me why I bothered buying a new camera in the first place?



Despite the challenges I face with Benjamin's fierce independent streak and his love of the word "no," he is really a lot of fun. He has a great sense of humor - so quick to laugh and play. He is loving and sympathetic and a great helper with Isabella. He's just a really great kid and I love being with him. Okay, enough motherly sentimentality. :) I just really love my kids, even when they drive me crazy.

No comments: