Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Gotta Get Out

Christian was bouncing off the walls today after spending so many hours in online classes.  He literally was walking up the walls and bouncing off.  (His hands on the kitchen table, he was walking his bare feet backwards up the wall by the table.)  I realized we needed to get out.  Cold weather or not, we needed to burn off some of that energy.  I've been taking the boys running every morning, but Benjamin only has 25 minutes between seminary and his first class so we don't go very far.  We can't go later because Peter is up by then and he doesn't like the cold in the early mornings.  I've had to stop taking him along.  The early run with the older boys has been wonderful, though.  I get just a little bit of exercise and, most importantly, so does Benjamin, who is sedentary in front of his computer the whole rest of the day.  Today we ran 1.5 miles at a 7 min/mile pace and it felt great.  When I saw that Christian needed more exercise, I convinced him to go to the park with me.  He loves to go to the park, but he's hated wearing his bicycle helmet lately and so he's been refusing to bike to avoid the helmet.  I convinced him it was worth it and we went.  We had a great time, although Peter didn't last as long as I'd hoped.  He is just much more grumpy and difficult in the cold weather.  I bundled him up as best I could (2 shirts, sweater, jacket, and two pants) and we managed about 45 minutes.  His favorite things are always the bouncy frogs, the slides, and the merry-go-round.  Today he laughed out loud as I spun him around.  I put squeaky shoes on the him for the first time so he would squeak when he walked and he thought it was so funny.  He grinned as he noticed the sounds for the first time.  We are trying everything to get him walking more.  So far 10 steps when prompted is about his max.  I keep hoping that improves before the snow comes.




No comments: