Thursday, May 18, 2006

It's Raining Babies!

I had a baby shower today. The best part was that I had no idea I was going to have one! I covered a shift for a girl at work last week and to be nice she offered to cover one of mine. So I said, "how about Thursday?" and she agreed. I didn't really need it covered, I just figured it would be nice to have the time off since she was offering. Plus, then later it came up that some neighbors of mine were having a party and it was convenient that I didn't have to work so I could go. End of story. At least that's what I thought, until two minutes after my shift was supposed to start. My phone rang and the caller ID said it was my boss. I assumed the worst. "What are you doing right now?" she asked. "Why? Did Jenny not come in for me?" "No, she's here, but we were planning something for you. Are you busy?" She went on to explain that a couple of girls I work with were going to take me out to eat as a surprise. They didn't know that I had gotten Jenny to cover my shift and Jenny didn't say anything because she assumed I'd suggested Thursday because I knew about the surprise after all and wanted the time off. I felt so bad! They wanted to surprise me and I accidentally ruined it! She laughed and said it's no big deal and they'd reschedule. I got off the phone and felt bad and thought, "I could still go! The other party's not until 5pm, it's only 2pm now, why not still do it?" So I called her back and said I could be there in 30 minutes, I'd just have to walk over because I don't have a car. She offered to pick me up and take me home and voila - I had a baby shower! The part she didn't tell me was that this was more than just a couple girls - this was the entire female half of the staff! When I got there, there were already 6 people there and within a few minutes, the party had grown to 16. It was awesome! And boy did I feel better that I had insisted on coming and not making them reschedule!!! My boss had called all the guys on the staff and gotten them to cover shifts for all the girls and reserved a room at a nearby restaurant and bought cake and gotten a card with everyone's signature and balloons and a gift card for $175 to babies-r-us!!!! It was amazing. I had no idea that this was happening and I'm so overwhelmed with joy and love and acceptance that I just can't even believe it! It may be the hormones, but I'm almost weepy. It's just so cool. So, I have the best colleagues on earth and it's wonderful to be so appreciated. Life is really good right now, I must say.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Awww! That is so sweet. You have some amazing co-workers (and boss to arrange it so all of that ladies had lunch off! Very impressed).

Have you hit 37 weeks yet and therefore full term?