Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Isn't freezing rain called snow?

Before I moved to Michigan I had a friend from Michigan's Upper Penninsula. He would tell me about "freezing rain." He said it was the worst because it took forever to scrape off your car and it downed trees and power lines all the time. I thought this was the strangest thing because how can rain freeze and not be snow? Well, this weekend I learned what he meant. The rain freezes once it touches something...anything. So, Monday morning I awoke to find my car encased in ice, as well as the trees, my old tomato plants that I still haven't cleared away, and pretty much everything in sight. I wish I were better at taking pictures, but here's my attempt at capturing one of the most amazing things I've seen nature do. Just thought I'd share. :)

My old tomato plants have definitely seen better days.

It's hard to see it, but every single branch on these two trees (as seen from my patio) is encased in ice.

Here are some professional pictures that maybe show it better.

No comments: